Spec me a new pc

Angry Bear

n00b
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
63
Hey everyone, my laptop isn't cutting it for gaming anymore and could use some help picking out new componets for a new one. Would like to spend around $1500-$2000. Thanks to who ever helps :)
 
do you want a monitor?
amd x2 380 +-295
antec 550 watt psu-90
7900 gtx-550
2 74 gb raptors-320
dfi mothernoard- 170
2 gb of ram-195
cd drive-35
good atx case-100

price=around 1515$ you can get a better proccesor
 
Nope, I have a Dell 19 inch lcd not being used.

Seems to be what I'm going for, Not sure I really need a 7900 gtx though, maybe a 7900 gt, the monitor's resolution is only 1280x1024.
 
I dont really think you need 2 raptors.

One is good, then get a big drive for downloads
 
Your motherboard manual, an overclocking guide (or two), and patience. :p

If you don't want to get into it too heavy, then you *could* drop the RAM in L1ght's build to just Value RAM and save the money...but that's up to you.

Other than that...no other real change to that build.
 
I would get the 7900GTX if you want the best gaming experience possible, even at that res. Games are now starting to utilize 512mb of memory and also it will provide you some "future prooving" as its be more powerful than the 7900GT and thus lasting longer.
 
ok for gaming this is what your looking for:

a dual core proc - x2 3800/opty 165 or 170
graphics cards - either get 2 7900gts/gtxs or crossfire x1900xt/xts
2gb of g skill ram HZ
DVD drive
Either 1 raptor with a big storage drive or 2 normal drives
600W psu
dfi sli d
or
asus crossfire mobo
maybe a ppu if you want

and then for ocing make sure you have an aftermarket cooler for your cpu and good air flow/case...
if you get the ram/mbs/cpus suggested ull oc fine and the cards are amazing for gaming

BUT
please post the specs of your old comp because the comp above will be obselete in 2007 becuase of vista...and dx10
 
Mayhs said:
ok for gaming this is what your looking for:

a dual core proc - x2 3800/opty 165 or 170
graphics cards - either get 2 7900gts/gtxs or crossfire x1900xt/xts
2gb of g skill ram HZ
DVD drive
Either 1 raptor with a big storage drive or 2 normal drives
600W psu
dfi sli d
or
asus crossfire mobo
maybe a ppu if you want

and then for ocing make sure you have an aftermarket cooler for your cpu and good air flow/case...
if you get the ram/mbs/cpus suggested ull oc fine and the cards are amazing for gaming

BUT
please post the specs of your old comp because the comp above will be obselete in 2007 becuase of vista...and dx10

Do you think I oughta hold off building one till Vista comes?

I assumed vista would have alot of issues with compatible software.
 
Angry Bear said:
Do you think I oughta hold off building one till Vista comes?

I assumed vista would have alot of issues with compatible software.

microsoft doesnt have compatibility issues...the whole world has compatibility issue withs microsoft^^

well post the specs of your current system so i can tell you whether to wait or spend the hard earned money :)
 
Im going to say build now. Because I myself dont feel like being one of microsofts product testers. Also I'll bet DX10 will be like DX9 you can still run most games with DX8 shaders to make the older cards compatible. By the time that games come out that have to have DX10 shaders it will be time for a new GFX card at least.

Im going to say

AMD X2 3800+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562
Asus A8R-32-MVP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131004
Sapphire 1900XTX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102004
GSkill 2GB kit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231047
WD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136010
Seasonic psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136010

~$1300
add a case that you like for about 100 and a dvd burner for ~50 and you will be golden for atleast 2-3 years at high settings and be able to play decentally for at least a couple more past that.

Dont fall for the wait for the next best thing trap and get something that will fit your needs.
 
1920x1200 for 2-3 years on the 'highest' settings on a x1900xt = sluggish after 6-8 months...honestly the rate technology moves is alarming for consumers...this can be judged in two ways: upgrade now becasue technology is always 3 steps ahead or wait until you can catch up with technology (vista) and then stay with it for a few months...someone said that software is always behind technology...we can see this by dx10 cards being released before vista so if he gets vista which im sure will be stbale we should be in the second stage of dx10 cards which will perform good enough to play the games he requires at the settings he has stated...
if you want me to explain further please pm me :)

soory for the lack of formatting :p
 
Mayhs said:
microsoft doesnt have compatibility issues...the whole world has compatibility issue withs microsoft^^

well post the specs of your current system so i can tell you whether to wait or spend the hard earned money :)

My current system is just my laptop.

Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X300
Hard Drive: 60gb
Memory: 512mb

I appreciate the help guys :)
 
Angry Bear said:
My current system is just my laptop.

Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X300
Hard Drive: 60gb
Memory: 512mb

oh...well the upgrade youll see would be so momentous im sure ur head will be ringing louder than the arrival of a new pope...honestly i think itll take the breath out of u..o be so big u dont even recognise it (thats what happened to me :p )

well lets put it this way: do you play games a lot now? what games are they? and what games are you looking forward too? and how often would you upgrade (key question)?
 
Mayhs said:
oh...well the upgrade youll see would be so momentous im sure ur head will be ringing louder than the arrival of a new pope...honestly i think itll take the breath out of u..o be so big u dont even recognise it (thats what happened to me :p )

well lets put it this way: do you play games a lot now? what games are they? and what games are you looking forward too? and how often would you upgrade (key question)?

I had made some gaming computers before, but my intrests in PC gaming just died after Half-Life 2 came out. So I got the laptop for casual use. Now I see a ton of amazing looking PC games coming out like Prey and Quake Wars. I also wanted to play some games I missed this fall like F.E.A.R., Quake 4 ,etc.

Right now I can play Call of Duty 2 on Direct X 7 mode, with many features turned down and I'm back into Counter-Strike Source which is at medium 800x600.
 
Angry Bear said:
I had made some gaming computers before, but my intrests in PC gaming just died after Half-Life 2 came out. So I got the laptop for casual use. Now I see a ton of amazing looking PC games coming out like Prey and Quake Wars. I also wanted to play some games I missed this fall like F.E.A.R., Quake 4 ,etc.

Right now I can play Call of Duty 2 on Direct X 7 mode, with many features turned down and I'm back into Counter-Strike Source which is at medium 800x600.

does playing at that setting annoy you? why not enquire whether or not your g card on ur laptop can be upgraded then wait till conroe/dx10?
 
I still say dont wait the new word is that the DX10 cards are not due till Q4 at the soonest. Conroe may be worth waiting for but as always the only thing the top of the cpu is good for is bungholieo marks and such any current cpu will still be able to play games decently for the next couple years. Also I my self do like to jump on tech the moment it comes out. I like my computers just to work. I still have an uncle that games on a AXP and a 9800 pro and thinks that my comp is overkill. And really will a lowend conroe that will fit into his budget right when it comes out really be all that faster than a compentent cpu of today(Who knows it could be)

All in all it depends if you just want it to be playable or run at max settings. In my opinion you dont want to fall for that wait for the next big thing youll end up like me last fall with a P3 800 that is all but worthless for gaming.(Though I still have it for older games). Get something that you will be happy with now and think you will be happy with in the furture. It really doesnt matter what we all think as long as its what you want.
 
true but if i was buying hardware and i knew about conroe/am2 and vista i would not buy right now...all i need to know is: when would he upgrade next?
 
See my sig. Just built, less than 2 weeks ago, for ~$1800 when all was said and done. Never been happier in my gaming life. :)
 
Mayhs said:
does playing at that setting annoy you? why not enquire whether or not your g card on ur laptop can be upgraded then wait till conroe/dx10?

Well it's a dell so I doubt it.

I can't thank you guys enough for the hardware suggestions. I'm doing my best to read up on what I can.
 
Angry Bear said:
Well it's a dell so I doubt it.

I can't thank you guys enough for the hardware suggestions. I'm doing my best to read up on what I can.

nps but please answer this quesiton...if you buy a new comp in a month when will you upgrade next?
 
Mayhs said:
nps but please answer this quesiton...if you buy a new comp in a month when will you upgrade next?

I plan on an upgrade maybe 1 year after Vista is out. Depends on my intrests in future games.

speaking of future games, could I expect the 7900 gtx or X1900 xtx to max out Unreal Tournament 2007?
 
Angry Bear said:
I plan on an upgrade maybe 1 year after Vista is out. Depends on my intrests in future games.

speaking of future games, could I expect the 7900 gtx or X1900 xtx to max out Unreal Tournament 2007?

kk well then this upgrade is feasible now...and id go for it!!

um maybe in sli/crossfire yeh but if not then no...but i believe the x1900xt will be slightly faster only because it is in oblivion and fear but crossfire and sli is a different thing expect similar performance
 
Mayhs said:
kk well then this upgrade is feasible now...and id go for it!!

um maybe in sli/crossfire yeh but if not then no...but i believe the x1900xt will be slightly faster only because it is in oblivion and fear but crossfire and sli is a different thing expect similar performance

The 7900 GTX seems to outperform the X1900XTX in many tests.
 
I would get the XTX games are coming more shader dependant and thats what the XTX has and the ATi dont drop off as much at high res and max features as the GTX's do.

I wish I would of spent the extra money and got a X1800XT over my 7800GT. The games coming out are just murdering it.
 
DeChache said:
I would get the XTX games are coming more shader dependant and thats what the XTX has and the ATi dont drop off as much at high res and max features as the GTX's do.

I wish I would of spent the extra money and got a X1800XT over my 7800GT. The games coming out are just murdering it.

Thanks for the advice.
 
Case: Antec Performance I P180B Black-$129.99

Power Supply Unit: Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W-$68.99

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD-$134.99

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor-$297.00

Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s-$89.99

Memory: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit-$188.00

Disk Drive 1: SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s-$19.99

Graphics Card: ATI 100-435705 Radeon X1800XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16-$339.99

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface-$121.99

Speakers: Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1-$54.99

Mouse: Razer Plasma Diamondback RZD-1600P Black 7 Buttons 1x Wheel USB Optical-$39.99

Keyboard: Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard-$46.99

Power Strip: APC PER7 7 1060 Power Surge Protector-$14.00

Total: $1707.89

How does that look?
 
for one change your motherboard to non sli...itll save some money and two wheres the psu?


id recommend getting a dfi ultra d for your overclocking goodness and ask exlipse or someone more knowledgeable for the best performing ram...all i know is g skill hz but i dont know if anything new has come out to trump it...
 
Back
Top