• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

speakers???

chris22

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
65
guys what speakers do u think i should get. looking for good gaming speakers with powerfull and clear sound but that dont cost TOO much
 
i have heard good things about m-audio, but have never heard them my self http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836127107

also, i bought my dad a set of speakers at compusa that were originally $59.99 on sale for $29.99, and they sound pretty dard good for cheap speakers. its a 2.1 setup and the speakers are those wierd looking stick ones and it came with a 6" sub. i was impresssed with the sound from such low budget speakers (it wasn't close to my polk speakers / denon receiver, but it was pretty good)

if you don't already have good headphones i would suggest looking into some nice sennheiser headphones until you can spend a little more on speakers though.

with a $80 budget you can get some good cans
 
I would second the headphone idea... I would go with either new Grado SR 60's or see if I could get a bargain on some gently used Grado SR 225's. The 225's are AMAZING for rock music and great for anything else, and I've seen them used in the 80 dollar range.
 
sound quality / number of channels / output level / price. Pick two (three if you are damn lucky).

for surround sound:

Pretty much for $80, clear sound is not going to happen. You might be able to get an old 5.1 cambridge soundwords setup that will do you well until you can cough up the dinero for a Klipsch or similar speaker system.


OR...

drop the coin on a home theater setup. About $500 up if you go this route, otherwise stick with high end PC speakers.


for two channel:

M-audio makes good stuff, as does Klipsch, Swans, and verious others. Studio monitors are the cream of the crop here.

Avoid the Onkyo GX-D90...they brag about having onboard D/A conversion...I used to have a pair, and while their sound is pretty darn good, they have weak bass, and the woofer has excursion issues, so loudness just does not happen. They are pretty nice looking speakers though.

Again, a stereo receiver and bookshelf speakers will be the best choice. I had good luck with the Yamaha RX-396 with Dayton BR-1 kit speakers....ungodly bass levels at nearfield listening range (speakers were flanking my LCD display), as well as a very accurate sound for the price. Keep in mind that combination is around $350-500 depending on if you buy used and how good a deal you got. Home audio gear (at least the quality stuff) is not cheap.
 
ImStillDave said:
I would second the headphone idea... I would go with either new Grado SR 60's or see if I could get a bargain on some gently used Grado SR 225's. The 225's are AMAZING for rock music and great for anything else, and I've seen them used in the 80 dollar range.

Grado's suck for gaming. Don't touch those unless your'e strictly listening to music.
 
I played CS with my Grados a LOT and didn't have any issues...

A closed can might be better if you have a lot of environmental noise, but the Grado's were fine for me.
 
They don't have the soundstage for gaming.

Something like A900/500, Beyer DT770, HD 595/555, HD 280/201, PC 160 or Medusa's would be better suited for gaming.

For 2.1's... I think this guy would be satisfied with a nice set from Creative or Logitech, unless you can suggest something of higher quality at the same price.
 
Back
Top