Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
If you're not using multiple devices that will use those speakers and only a computer, get a soundcard... especially for gaming.
I'm considering the 1080's or the MAudio and I have a SB Xtreme Music.
If I buy a Dayton sub do I connect it into my soundcard or does it go directly into these speakers?
Also I know the MAudio has 2 input sources so I can have one to my PC and another device (keyboard/tv/etc). Does anyone know if the 1080 has 2 inputs?
I'm considering the 1080's or the MAudio and I have a SB Xtreme Music.
If I buy a Dayton sub do I connect it into my soundcard or does it go directly into these speakers?
Also I know the MAudio has 2 input sources so I can have one to my PC and another device (keyboard/tv/etc). Does anyone know if the 1080 has 2 inputs?
hmm anyone?
These days, strong maybe leaning towards no. "I play games" is also worlds different from "I want my computer and sound system for games and only games because all I do is play counterstrike all day and all night."
A receiver is a piece of A/V equipment. A sound card is a computer component.
A receiver is intended to take multiple inputs, handle them as necessary (provide amplification, convert digital signals to analog, sometimes convert analog video to HDMI or whatever as a bonus feature) and forward them to a set of speakers and possibly a video display. It generally also has a headphone jack which means it can also act as a DAC/amp for headphones (if not necessarily as good of one as a device designed explicitly for that purpose could be).
A sound card provides a device for software to address in order to generate digital output. It also provides (very poor) DAC functionality and amplification functionality since speakers and headphones can't do anything with a digital signal (analog only) or an unamplified one (the volume would be nonexistent). It also can provide processing for codecs and some audio technologies like EAX which are basically fancy ways of processing multiple sources and environmental conditions in hardware in order to avoid loading the CPU. Since modern CPUs are ridiculously more powerful than they were at the time when we started moving to sound cards, we can easily handle this sort of thing in software now. Usually, games do, often whether you want a sound card to be doing it in hardware or not. Sometimes the games still use technologies that require specific hardware support to hear all the audio, or you want to play older games that similarly can't be made to function fully without specific hardware support. This is usually not worth screwing with because 1) you can usually get most things to work in software and few developers want to tie themselves down to a specific subset of possible computers their game could otherwise be installed on, 2) there are so many different audio standards that chasing hardware support is a losing proposition to start with.
Any questions? What it boils down to is: get a sound card if your motherboard has no digital output. Otherwise, you generally can get an external device (receiver, USB DAC, etc) that will sound better for the same money. Sound cards are stuck with the electrical noise inside the computer and with significant size and power constraints that just are not a factor when designing an external device. It's like the "big speaker, small speaker" issue we were talking about - they *could* make an internal device that gives the same quality as any given external device in your budget range - but it would almost certainly cost much more!
I will give myself sometime to think about this, i won't get anything else until my speaker arrives first anyways![]()
the review for zero says that i need clean digital source, do i have that?
It probably means FLAC or something like that (without seeing the exact paragraph). If you feed crappy overcompressed music into an awesome sound system, it will still sound like crap when it comes out.
This Zero unit is a monster Bang for your Buck unit. It is quality built with HeadFi type audiophiles in mind. Having said that, let me clarify a few things that might help those who are looking for such a unit. Inputs on the Zero are limited to optical and coaxial. No analog line-in. It is designed to take a clean digital source and convert it to really great headphone and pre-amp output. It will drive any type of headphones. It will cleanly drive a dedicated stereo amp (like my Super T-amp) or other separate amps. It is not portable, but works well with portable devices that have optical out. If you are in the market to build a desktop stereo system starting with a clean digital source, then this unit is absolutely worth investigating. It can serve as a clean bridge between portable and desktop, or as a bridge between digital and analog systems.
Probably not as huge a step as going to the 1080s, but still pretty substantial.
Some of these changes e.g. DAC improvements start getting into territory that more "passive" listeners might not notice easily. If you're paying attention to the music, yes, but if you have it on while distracted with other things it can be harder to tell until you get accustomed to the new level of quality.
IMO you need one, and will appreciate it, but will appreciate it more if you wait until you get more used to the 1080s.