• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Speakers for computer

theDreamer

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
2,513
So I am in the market for a set of speakers, funny for the past 2-3 years I have only used headphones for my computer :rolleyes: . But I am in need of some help on picking out speakers.

First what I will be using them for:
~Playing games, WoW, CS, WCIII, etc.
~Watching movies, all movies.
~Music listening, basically anything (BUT country). Probably more on the alternative funk, rock style.

~Later down the round I will be using them to watch TV through my computer, once I upgrade a few things first, but that is down the road.

So for what I intend to use them for, would I just need to grab a pair for 2.1, or mostly likely 5.1 would be best I assume?

With that, any thoughts on a top speaker setup? Price range if that comes up, lets keep it under 300, but if it is just over that is fine.

Thanks.
 
Logitech Z-5500!!!!

Gaming in 5.1 is so much more immersion in all genres of gaming...specially WoW and CSS...i play both of those all the time.

I highly recommend this set as I have the same.

Movies are awesome sounding with this thing...you wont regret it.
 
Viper16 said:
Logitech Z-5500!!!!

Gaming in 5.1 is so much more immersion in all genres of gaming...specially WoW and CSS...i play both of those all the time.

I highly recommend this set as I have the same.

Movies are awesome sounding with this thing...you wont regret it.

I second. Just got my Z-5500 5.1 set last week and have been enjoying them day and night (my neighbors havent ;) ). Since them I have watched a bunch of movies with them and literally feel like im in a theater.
 
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I was looking into those, I just wanted to make sure the money was worth spending versus what I get out of them. But it clearly seems that way, so I will be getting those.
 
I agree!!! Only problem is that I find can't music off to go to sleep :)
 
I picked up a Lexicon Lambda USB device for input/output (it has balanced outputs), a couple of XLR to 1/4" balanced cables, a Furman power conditioner, and a pair of KRK Rokit 5 powered studio monitors at Guitar Center for my setup at home. I eventually want to get the 10" compliment sub that goes with the Rokits, but I haven't bought it yet.

Even without the sub the setup kicks ass. It's louder than you'd probably ever need for a computer setup, even in a decent sized room, and it sounds amazing... way better than the paper cone and foam surround junk drivers that they shove in "PC" speakers.

The entire setup (minus the sub) costs about as much as a high end set of 5.1 computer speakers and it sounds heads and tails better. You can get the Rokit 5's for $100/ea if you talk GC down. Their cost is around $94 ea., but if you pick up a Lambda (or other device with balanced outputs, a requirement for clean sound with the monitors) they shouldn't have a problem giving them to you for $100/ea.

I also compared the M-Audio offerings that were similarly priced ($200-$300/pair) but they didn't sound as good. If you wanted to spend more you could step up to the Rokit 8's for more midbass, but a pair of Rokit 5's and the component sub would be more than you'll ever need as far as quality and volume on a PC, I can pretty much guarantee that if you're looking at PC speaker offerings now.
 
I have the m-audio studiophile 2.1 monitors and have been pretty happy. I have them running
through the balanced control room outputs of my mackie mixer and they sound good for what I use them for. Definitely a step up from "computer speakers".
 
It is a shame that Logitech Z-5500 is labeled as a computer speakers system only...because they do not really sound like all the other computer speakers that I have heard. They really are impressive and sound great even at high volumes...I had it cranked upto the boost '3' or so which is past the whole volume bar...and there was no distortion and it was a heavy song. They are probably the cheapest pair of really nice speakers and Amplifier with its own built-in receiver.
 
Back
Top