Speaker Systems

Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
27
A few years ago, I purchased the Logitech X530s for my computer. They offer OK sound for a very cheap price, but I have found the sound very lacking.

I was thinking of completely dropping 5.1, and moving to a set of fairly nice 2.0 speakers: Swan M200 Studio Monitors. After hearing absolutely stunning reviews about the m200s, I found Swans M20-5.1. If they sound half as good as the m200s are supposed to, they would probably be good for me. However, they have been discontinued. Do you guys have any idea where I can get some?


Additionally, in the (distant) future, I may be looking for some high end home theater speakers. I am thinking about the Swans 2.2HT. First of all, how much do they cost? Where could I get these or try them out them?
 
I'm going to answer your question with more questions before we get to answering:

  • Are you looking for "high end" or high end speakers? First of all I just want to make sure you know what you're looking for. It looks like you're only tossing out one name that isn't generally considered by many people I've talked to. After looking for the 2.2ht, I don't even see any major hi-fi sites (such as forums like avforum or review sites such as 6moons) discussing them.
  • What are you specifically looking to use the system for? A listening rig and a home theater rig will have different equipment requirements. Also knowing the application can also let people figure out where they can skimp on their setups. You don't need cryogenically frozen RCA cables if you're running an HT setup, while you might want some high end cables for a dedicated listening rig.
  • Most importantly, what's your budget? This is the biggest make or break question since there will always be the best speaker for the budget. In general, paradigms, axioms, and the onix x-ls are best bang-for-the-buck values when it comes to entry level monitors/speakers.

The Swan M200's make for good desktop speakers from what I've seen from posts. Never demoed them so I can't really give a real opinion though.
 
Just because you like their entry level bookshelves doesn't mean you will like their high end product's niche in the market. They use totally different dispersion techniques and driver arrays. If you are looking into high end speakers, you need to look at a lot more brands deciding on what speakers you want. If you were just drooling, thats fine, I don't want you to spend the next several years with your mind bent on getting the 2.2's and when the time actually comes, you are so set on them, that you don't make a rational choice.

I heard the 2.2's at CES, they are fantastic, so are speakers from tannoy, revel, aerial acoustics, dali, venture audio, and RBH to name a few. With the 2.2's though, if you have to ask how much they are, there is no way you will ever afford them. The system sells for $68,000 in case you were wondering. You could buy all the exact same drivers and build it for well under $10,000 though. It would just take a lot of hours one summer and a very complete workshop, but hey, saving $60,000 would be nice.
 
Back
Top