• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Speaker system around 1k or less

exe163

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
1,366
hello everyone,
my mom wants to buy a speaer system for our big living room tv, she bought a BOSE 321 series 2 speaker system ( 9xx at Bxxxbuy )
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=321_dvd_index&ck=0

sounds great, but is it worth it for a 2.1 speaker cost almost 1k to creat surrond sound with only 2 front speakers. what are some speakers with good quality around or below 1k (or add a DVD player in the price )? OR should i tell my mom to keep the expensive 2.1 speaker system ( with a DVD player )?
 
Try to get her to take the speaker system back while she still can. Buy somthing from Paradigm, B&W, or Axiom... bose are teh devil.

Regards,
Mike
 
Bose = ripoff for price. The new SBS-01 system from SVS is getting great reviews so far for 1k for 7.1.
 
are they good sound quality? I wants to use up 1k to get the some good sound quality speakers, which brand or model have the best sound (or model)?
 
I swear by Klipsch. They have some very nice home-theater setups, and for that price, you could get 5.1 :eek:
 
http://www.htd.com/levelthreesets.html

If you just need the speakers, no receiver and no dvd player, but those are pretty hardcore, and quite large.

http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html

Or you can get these and add a HK, Denon, or Yamaha reciever and a sub (if you want). Then add any matching progressive scan DVD player.

It might be more complicated, but either of these systems would easily dominate the shitty bose speakers on sound quality. Plus you can play em louder and they look cooler :)

EDIT: also, you cannot create true surround sound from 2 speakers. If you wanna watch movies as they were meant to be heard, you should get at least 5.1 with a good center channel. If you are only going to listen to music, 2.1 is fine.
 
thx guys, returnning them soon and buy a 5.1 surround sound system :)
 
Bose sound good but they just don't sound right.

I highly recommend Ascend Acoustics. www.ascendacoustics.com
I have a pair of their 170s with a Hsu Research sub. Need to move to a bigger place to buy 2 more 170s and 3 x 340s to complete my 7.1 setup. So far my 2.1 setup is amazing.
 
I've found Bose is only good for wife acceptance factor. An integrated DVD/receiver from a good maker (NAD used to offer one), and a wharfedale 5.1 system would be almost as compact, a few hundred bucks less, and far better performance. To save even more money, go for a full sized standard DVD player and receiver.

the standard dvd and receiver option would fit just above the $1k mark msrp, if you shop around, it can be had for less. The integrated option can be cheap or pricey depending on brand....NAD is not cheap...it was just an example.
 
DeeFrag said:
Bose sound good but they just don't sound right.

I highly recommend Ascend Acoustics. www.ascendacoustics.com
I have a pair of their 170s with a Hsu Research sub. Need to move to a bigger place to buy 2 more 170s and 3 x 340s to complete my 7.1 setup. So far my 2.1 setup is amazing.

I hear great things about these, but the sub really depends. If you want to save money without sacrifice, the PB10 is a bargain that can go down to 17Hz.

The latest Level III's have a tweeter balance problem it seems. I would steer clear for now.
 
serbiaNem said:
I hear great things about these, but the sub really depends. If you want to save money without sacrifice, the PB10 is a bargain that can go down to 17Hz.

The latest Level III's have a tweeter balance problem it seems. I would steer clear for now.

Really? I havent heard that. Then again, I have the preveious gen. and they sound fantastic.
 
Another good performer that is also Wife Approved are the Aego systems. It's everything Bose wishes they were.
 
Back
Top