Speaker suggestion less than $100

Kliter

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 22, 2006
Messages
159
I'm getting new system soon, and was wondering if someone could give me advice on the sound system. I'll get a 5.1-bit channel sound card (any suggestions?).

I also need suggestions for speakers (surround sound would be nice) for less than $100. I was looking at the Logitech x-530 or x-540. Are these any good, or are there better? I'm familiar with the logitech z-5500, but those are definately more than my budget.

Thanks much
 
The 540 is updated version of the 530.... new cabinets for the satellite speakers and a standalone controller. I like the look of the 540 quite abit more than the 530. Both use the same drivers and have the same FDD2 tech (which basically means that the front baffle is angled at the drivers' edge to minimize distortion of the sound waves coming off the front baffle.

Of course, if you can get the 5300 for cheap.... that would be a better solution.
 
Kliter,

Yup.. that's the 5300... a very good system!

I just read the review of it on CNET, and they gave it a 6.0 / 10. They recomended the Creative GigaWorks ProGamer G500 instead, but that's another $100, which is way out of my budget.

By the way, what's the difference between the Z-5300 and the Z-5300e. And what's the Dolby Digital feature that it lacks?

Thanks
 
You have to cut your budget somewhere... remember CNET is reviewing the 5300 at retail price, so that affects the review ($200) and remember that no matter what you do, there's always better out there.. whether it be the G500 or whatnot.

For the price of $130-ish, the 5300 is very good... and quite a bit better for all around performance over the 530.

5300 vs 5300e is all cosmetics in difference.

The Dolby feature they lack is that it doesnt have decoding capabilities built in.. you need a soundcard to do that as a result.

:)
 
You have to cut your budget somewhere... remember CNET is reviewing the 5300 at retail price, so that affects the review ($200) and remember that no matter what you do, there's always better out there.. whether it be the G500 or whatnot.

For the price of $130-ish, the 5300 is very good... and quite a bit better for all around performance over the 530.

5300 vs 5300e is all cosmetics in difference.

The Dolby feature they lack is that it doesnt have decoding capabilities built in.. you need a soundcard to do that as a result.

:)


Oh, ok, thanks! That helps out a lot :)

Also, if one were to have Dolby Digital compliant speakers, does that mean they wouldn't need a sound card?

I plan on getting a sound card anyways, though, so I'm pretty sure at this point it will be the Logitech Z-5300 (and btw, I read another review on it at Rage3D, and they simply raved about how great it was. So that definately sways my opinions.)
 
I just purchased the Logitech X-540s and I have to say that I'm VERY happy with them but take that for what you will, I'm not an audiophile... My last speaker system was an Altec Lansing 2.1 set up. There is a headphone port in the volume control but it's almost useless unless you run a a cable for the mic to your computer as well (which I did). The speakers swivel so that they can stand up or be mounted on a wall.

Basically, I'm incredibly pleased with these speakers and would buy them again.
 
Oh, ok, thanks! That helps out a lot :)

Also, if one were to have Dolby Digital compliant speakers, does that mean they wouldn't need a sound card?

I plan on getting a sound card anyways, though, so I'm pretty sure at this point it will be the Logitech Z-5300 (and btw, I read another review on it at Rage3D, and they simply raved about how great it was. So that definately sways my opinions.)

Digital decoding speakers still need a soundcard as most soundcards do not have a digital out. Look, it's a good speaker set... probably not the best, but who can say that theirs is??? Look at my sig and search for my gear on google... and I will tell you that there's still better than my gear, as always the grass is always greener on the other side - no matter the budget. The 5300, to my ears, are very good for what they charge. It's a solid set of speakers that I would certainly consider if I was in the same budget as you are. Good luck! :)
 
If you have a sams club membership or know anybody with a membership the X-540's can be had for $79.99 before taxes
 
Those 5300s do look nice. I'm looking to buy up a bunch of the satellites and make some mini-line-arrays.

However, I'd go for a SoundBlaster Live! Digital soundcard (about $15 shipped on the F/S/T forum), a used HT reciever ($60 will get you something better than what's in the speakers), and some home-made speakers. Use a S/PDIF cable (digital link) between the soundcard and reciever, and you're done.

Sats ($10/each)
http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

Subwoofer($75):
Use one of the Polk EOSONE drivers:
http://apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html
With one of these
http://apexjr.com/70watt.htm

Sure, it'll take some tweaking...but the results are worth it!
 
Back
Top