• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Speaker/headphone switcher?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
5,323
Here's the deal: Because I live in a small apartment I mainly use my headphones, however sometimes when friends are over I'll switch to speakers, the problem is, it's annoying constantly having to unplug the headphones/speakers from the back of my computer, is there an easier way? Note that the headphone plug on the speakers themselves is broke.
 
Yeah, but how will I switch between speakers and headphones, or will the sound come out of both?
 
This will work - both devices will have sound at the same time - but depending on your sound card's output you may get very degraded bass response since these are generally line outs (but you'll be getting this with your headphones now so...). Another option if you have a 5.1 or 7.1 sound device, depending on the device, might be to plug one into the front and one into the rear output and then configure your player (or driver) to output the stereo audio to both front and rear outputs.
 
I just use a 3.5mm extension cable that I have plugged into my soundcard and have the other end sitting atop of my desk right under my monitor. So when I switch between headphones and speakers, I just unplug one and plug in the other. Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

4013696069_ec1d2f2e51_o.jpg


Here's a link to one for an example, there's a ton of them at different prices and lengths. I would just check out your local radioshack. Shoudln't be much more than $5 if that.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-137...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255618614&sr=1-2
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, but how will I switch between speakers and headphones, or will the sound come out of both?

Sound will come out of both. Back when i did it this way I would just turn off the speakers if I wanted to use the headphones.
 
not the best method but why not buy a cheap 3 way AV selector off ebay (cheap as $5) and a couple of mini-jack to RCA cables (probably a couple bucks each) and have something for $10 or less. I'm thinking about going this route with a cheap sony 3 way AV selector unless I find something better.

EDIT: like 2 of these cables along with the AV selector: http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/35mm-to-rca/30s1-01260.htm

also need 1x 3.5mm stereo cable male to RCA male adapter for soundcard to selector box.
 
Last edited:
You could try mounting a 3.5 mm jack from the Front panel header to a 3.5" or 5.25" bay cover. That'd be a nice clean solution.
 
You could also spend a little more $$$ and get a little DAC/Headphone amp like the FUBAR III that has a headphone jack on the front and line out RCA jack on the back.

That way you have a headphone jack right in the front to plug into which should disable the speakers.

It would also improve sound quality quite a bit, depending on the quality of speakers/headphones.

image.img


image.img
 
Back
Top