• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Speaker Calibration

Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Messages
32
Hi

I am a regular lurker to this site and keep an eye on the 120hz LCD threads. I am hoping the upcoming Viewsonic model is something special as others on the market seem just average. Anyway I have a question regarding speaker calibration.

Is there a way I can calibrate my 5.1 speakers over Toslink? I think I can only obtain 5.1 sound using my Titanium HD over Toslink Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect encoding. However when I try to make adjustments in the Creative console over Toslink DDL/DTS connect 5.1 encoding it does not work. I can also connect the analogue stereo outputs from the Titanium HD to my Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver (using 2 x RCA to 2 x RCA plugs) and the Creative speaker calibration software then works fine but this is only stereo mode.

There is some great stuff in the Creative Speaker Setup Console which is only available in 5.1 mode, including a bass management sweep test and crossover frequency setup. However the only way I can obtain 5.1 is over Toslink DDL/DTS Connect encoding.

I can calibrate my speakers basically over Toslink using my Onkyo receiver but the Creative software console I think is more advanced. I have an older model receiver.

Hope I have explained myself clearly.

Thanks

I run windows 7 and all the creative drivers found on disc included with my sound card.
 
Last edited:
You have multi-channel analog inputs on that receiver. They are all in the DVD section. I would recommend connecting your sound card to your receiver this way as you can then use your sound card settings as you wanted to.

Also, analog carries a lossless signal for multi-channel audio. S/PDIF is highly compressed.
 
Your receiver may be old and may not have HDMI and Audyssey as found on the new Onkyos, but I highly doubt that calibrating via software will sound better than sending DDL/DTS to the receiver and using it for calibration.

Although showing its age a bit, the Onkyo TX-SR600 was and still is a very nice receiver; let it do what it was designed to do.
 
Thank you for your replies.

SirMaster I think I understand. My Onkyo receiver does have 5.1 multichannel inputs but the Titanium HD only allows for stereo analogue out.

TESLA, I don't think my receiver has Audyssey and I know it doesn't have HDMI (as you say it is an older model but still sounds nice)

I was just wondering if there is a way perhaps using software that I can calibrate my speakers over toslink.
 
Back
Top