SPDIF to rear panel 3.5 Jack Adapter? Don't buy the ASRock TaiChi if you want 5.1 Audio.

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
I made the mistake of buying the Asrock TaiChi Lite. I wouldn't buy it again knowing it has this issue since I do have 5.1 surround. The motherboard requires you to use the front panel 3.5mm jack in order to get 5.1 sound. The optical output will only play 5.1 for movies because ASRock didn't license DTS, Dolby Digital etc, which is required for 5.1 over TOSLINK. So that means no 5.1 for games.
So I would like to unplug my front panel, and instead add the additional 3.5mm jack they skipped out on to the rear panel. But I can't find this part! Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? I might be searching for the wrong thing.

I have surround sound working, but I hate having a wire coming out the front of my computer to my Logitech Reciever.

I guess other option would be to buy a sound card. Maybe this one? Seems silly to buy this when the sound is fine itself.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R1GWX8W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I have no issues with the sound itself, just that I don't like having a wire coming out the front of my case, or that I need an extra cable to have 5.1.

The TaiChi Only has 2 3.5mm ports. Figured I would just use the Optical Output, but aparently it only works for movies due to licensing.

1706494106268.png

Manual states I need to use the front audio jack to get 5.1.

1706494160034.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I couldn't find one made (other than the front panel things with mic/headphone + 2x usb -- you can find those at moddiy, amazon, etc), so I guess you'll have to get a panel mount audio cable and splice it to an hdaudio extension cable, or have someone build such a thing for you.

yeah this is kinda common now, due to that licensing. would you like a source for some drivers that do dts/ddl?
Sure, haven't found any for the ALC4082 though. I think hacked divers also require you to turn off driver signing.

Last edited:
Is this a virus? Chrome determined the file unsafe. I installed anyways and all it did was flash a command prompt and run something in the background then closed it real fast.
Still no surround sound options for optical only I have no idea what it did to my computer.

Well I guess something is wrong or not compatible.

Time to give up and buy a sound card like the old days?

Last edited:
Is this a virus? Chrome determined the file unsafe. I installed anyways and all it did was flash a command prompt and run something in the background then closed it real fast.
Still no surround sound options for optical only I have no idea what it did to my computer.

Well I guess something is wrong or not compatible.

Time to give up and buy a sound card like the old days?
hahahaha you fell for that?!
jk, of course its not a virus, its just a modded and signed driver to add back in the dolby stuff on realtek chips. its what im using:
1706709241251.png

your audio chip might not be supported.

It was apparently a virus as my browser has now been hijacked after attempting to install.

So now I will need to reformat and look for another solution.

Haven't had a virus in years! It was certainly the file linked from this link that caused it.

This just cost me another weekend of time and probably another Windows license.

It was apparently a virus as my browser has now been hijacked after attempting to install.

So now I will need to reformat and look for another solution.

Haven't had a virus in years! It was certainly the file linked from this link that caused it.

This just cost me another weekend of time and probably another Windows license.
it isnt. sounds like you got some pebcak issues...

it isnt. sounds like you got some pebcak issues...
it is I donloaded the file again. It installs smashApps, which is a doanload redirect app, then that installs Bangsearch.Pro which hijacks your browser. I have been unable to remove it so I will need to reformat.

this is the file I downloaded:
1706731446625.png

This then allows you to download AAFSBXFiMB5Setup.exe Which is actually a virus. I can literally still run the file and it goes installs smashApps, which then goes out and downloads a bunch of malicious stuff. I had all these sites blocked with my pihole, but I let them through because I trusted the link. I'm a sucker, because it was in fact a virus.

Last edited:
it is I donloaded the file again. It installs smashApps, which is a doanload redirect app, then that installs Bangsearch.Pro which hijacks your browser. I have been unable to remove it so I will need to reformat.

this is the file I downloaded:
View attachment 631776

This then allows you to download AAFSBXFiMB5Setup.exe Which is actually a virus.
you clicked something and fell for a highjack, the driver file is not a virus.
you can get them here
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...uad-9326-whql-hdaudio-enumerator-chip.442394/
and here
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/aaf-realtek-dch-audio-driver-dts.277711/
too
i have no idea what you did, but its not the driver file

edit: all that was needed was to click this:
1706733295300.png

and then click this:
1706733336372.png

ive been using it for years, and defender and cisco security both say its fine too.

Last edited:
Lemme get this straight.. you're trying to get 5.1 audio out via TOSLINK. Do you an old A/V receiver without HDMI?

Lemme get this straight.. you're trying to get 5.1 audio out via TOSLINK. Do you an old A/V receiver without HDMI?
in my case, yes. it has no hdmi audio support at all, so i have to use optical. im assuming the same here...

you clicked something and fell for a highjack, the driver file is not a virus.
you can get them here
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/a...uad-9326-whql-hdaudio-enumerator-chip.442394/
and here
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/aaf-realtek-dch-audio-driver-dts.277711/
too
i have no idea what you did, but its not the driver file

edit: all that was needed was to click this:
View attachment 631793
and then click this:
View attachment 631795
ive been using it for years, and defender and cisco security both say its fine too.
This is literally the rest of the directions to download the file that was a virus. Chrome will block it, my raspberry pie's pi-hole blocked the site that the SmashApps installer tried to access. I bypassed that too because i thought the file was legit. It obviously was at some point, because people have posted screenshots.

Again, I have downloaded it twice both install the same malicious software.

Luckily, I was able to restore to a restore point. If you're going to test that file, I would suggest creating a restore point first.

It's a PC 5.1 speaker receiver (Z5500's to be exact), no there is no HDMI, it does have optical. Even my receiver wouldn't work right though as it only supports 4k for video at 120htz and my Montior is Dual 4K resolution 240htz. An 8k receiver Might work but I don't want to have to go buy a receiver... I mean I guess if I dedicated another HDMI port to just do sound it might if I was connecting to a home theater setup, but in that case I would just use e-arc?

I just want to plug in my PC speakers which are 5.1 to work as they should, without having to have an extra cable dangling from the front microphone port (which is what the TaiChi requires you to do, in order to use the rear speakers). I don't want a bulky receiver plunked on my office desk either. I don't have room for that.

Last edited:
This is literally the rest of the directions to download the file that was a virus. Chrome will block it, my raspberry pie's pi-hole blocked the site that the SmashApps installer tried to access. I bypassed that too because i thought the file was legit. It obviously was at some point, because people have posted screenshots.

Again, I have downloaded it twice both install the same malicious software.

Luckily, I was able to restore to a restore point. If you're going to test that file, I would suggest creating a restore point first.

It's a PC 5.1 speaker receiver (Z5500's to be exact), no there is no HDMI, it does have optical. Even my receiver wouldn't work right though as it only supports 4k for video at 120htz and my Montior is Dual 4K resolution 240htz. An 8k receiver Might work but I don't want to have to go buy a receiver...
I just want to plug in my PC speakers which are 5.1 to work as they should, without having to have an extra cable dangling from the front microphone port (which is what the TaiChi requires you to do, in order to use the rear speakers). I don't want a bulky receiver in plunked on my office desk either. I don't have room for that.
you installed something called smashapp, that is not in the driver package. i dont know what you did but its not that driver packs fault... mega's maybe, if you didnt dodge popups or clicked something else, idk.
buy a sound card then i guess....

you installed something called smashapp, that is not in the driver package. i dont know what you did but its not that driver packs fault... mega's maybe, if you didnt dodge popups or clicked something else, idk.
buy a sound card then i guess....
The file that downloaded was named AAFSBXFiMB5Setup.exe,

When you launch this file it installs something called SmashApp as part of it's install, this app goes out and downloads malicious software. The file is named as the driver, but it is just a virus. Try it if you don't believe me, just create a backup first.

When I select create download link, a new page pops up with the download link. Is that what you see? The last link looks different on my screen. When I donload this file it is smaller size.
Sometimes the new page that opens looks like this:
1706740192477.png

And sometimes it looks like this:
1706740147454.png

And sometimes like this:

1706740379446.png

I never see exactly the same file you get, Both the files that show for me are 4.5MB viruses named like the correct file.

Last edited:
Probably some kind of dns cache poisioning attack or similar. If they know the target they can point the download to an installer that's engineered to look like the one you wanted but installs their malware package instead.

Site has ads out the ass, never generated the link on my phone (dunno if due to shitty connection or bc I have my browser's ad blocker enabled -- it did complain about that).

I would be hard pressed to trust that shit, maybe if it was on mega upload, not on that janky mega pretender.

Ok I kept clicking "create download link" to see how many versions of the fake file there were. The 10th time I clicked create download link, I got the page you posted and it downloaded a larger file that appears to be the correct size. I don't see any kinda checksum protection. Will try it next week when I have some time. Will create another restore point first.

I don't have an ad blocker per say, but use pihole to filter the ads. Maybe it is some kind of Ad Blocker attack for people blocking ads.

Lots of the scammy frontends try to direct you to the "big green button download"... and "that ain't it folks" (it's usually the less obvious button). Even very legitimate projects are fronted by some of these things (sigh).

Lots of the scammy frontends try to direct you to the "big green button download"... and "that ain't it folks" (it's usually the less obvious button). Even very legitimate projects are fronted by some of these things (sigh).
The problem is there is no other link. I am not new to the internet lol. It literally takes you to a page with only one link, and it isn't a big green button. It literally took me to the doanload links I posted above the first 9 times, and a couple sites that were blocked by pi-hole. Only the 10th time I clicked "create dowqnload link" did it take me to the page with the correct link (which looks no more legitimate than the others).
One correct page loaded for ever 10 times I clicked it.

This was a fresh install of windows so it's not like I have a bunch of weird crap installed.

FWIW, I used chrome.

I'll join the previous poster... It is you problem. In Firefox with uBlock Origin megaup generates the following download link

https://f46.megaup.net/ee27T/AAFSBX...fbbc9827b43fcc2b3010a50b7e6d660c755d0e39792a0

Windows Defender blocks it because it is not signed, but you can install anyway. No viruses or anything else.
This appears to be the link to the correct sized file if someone wants to try this driver. YMMV!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a really scummy site. Has popups pretending to be browser popups, fake chats, intercepts clicks to open unrelated links. The ads are malicious and many, do not try to use that site without a really good ad blocker.

The problem is there is no other link. It literally took me to the doanload links I posted above the first 9 times. Only the 10th time I clicked it I it took me to the correct link (which looks no more legitimate than the others).

This was a fresh install of windows so it's not like I have a bunch of weird crap installed.

FWIW, I used chrome.

This appears to be the link to the correct sized file if someone wants to try this driver. YMMV!

That download site is pure cancer in Chrome without adblock. Yes, I tried that and got your exact result - viruses, popups, some other trash instead of the intended file.

im using edge and i can download it just fine. on my work mac it just grabbed it and downloaded it, on my pc at home it did flag the file as unknown but its clean. sorry the official link is such garbage, not my site, if you dont click anything but the 68mb download it should be fine...

im using edge and i can download it just fine. on my work mac it just grabbed it and downloaded it, on my pc at home it did flag the file as unknown but its clean. sorry the official link is such garbage, not my site, if you dont click anything but the 68mb download it should be fine...
That was the whole issue though, I had to click the create download link 10 times before the correct link showed. But also can't tell that the bad links were incorrect until you download it only opens one more tab with a single link each click. I didn't check the file size.. , win11 keeps changing from detailed view back to some other view so I didn't notice.

That was the whole issue though, I had to click the create download link 10 times before the correct link showed.
no idea about that, mine was first try on both systems. there were two little popup boxes that i closed on the max but the link just worked.

If you did audio over HDMI, could you convince your system to do Dolby/DTS? There's HDMI audio extractors that will give you spdif, but I don't think they'll decode, and I didn't see any with 3x 3.5mm outputs either.

Looked again and found this https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Converter-Analog-Surround-Decoder/dp/B07J49P1H2/ which looks like lpcm gets sent to the analog ports and dolby/dts gets sent to spdif. Kind of pricy though.

Last edited:
If you did audio over HDMI, could you convince your system to do Dolby/DTS? There's HDMI audio extractors that will give you spdif, but I don't think they'll decode, and I didn't see any with 3x 3.5mm outputs either.

Looked again and found this https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Converter-Analog-Surround-Decoder/dp/B07J49P1H2/ which looks like lpcm gets sent to the analog ports and dolby/dts gets sent to spdif. Kind of pricy though.
Looks like it would work but one review says it still only provided stereo from Windows. I don't think there is a way to convince games to do encoding. HDMI sound might be similar to the optical where it needs to be encoded to do surround? My experience with surround over HDMI is only using home theater. For PC side I have only used it for media or stereo through the monitor.

Probably safer to just buy a sound card.

Looks like it would work but one review says it still only provided stereo from Windows. I don't think there is a way to convince games to do encoding. HDMI sound might be similar to the optical where it needs to be encoded to do surround? My experience with surround over HDMI is only using home theater. For PC side I have only used it for media or stereo through the monitor.

Probably safer to just buy a sound card.

HDMI Audio outputs a regular uncompressed 2 or 5.1 or 7.1 channels mixed by Windows audio driver. It does not encode anything unless you use Dolby Atmos speaker setup. You may get DTS, or Dolby or AC3 encoded sound from corresponding files (unless the player decodes them into 5.1 etc).

By some reason all those HDMI to 5.1 analog audio gadgets do not handle 5.1 uncompressed channels and only take stereo.
Although this one seems to have a switch for 2.1 vs 5.1 analog https://www.amazon.com/SOUTHSKY-Digital-Decoder-Converter-Optical/dp/B08KD9NVXY

By some reason all those HDMI to 5.1 analog audio gadgets do not handle 5.1 uncompressed channels and only take stereo.
Although this one seems to have a switch for 2.1 vs 5.1 analog
I linked one earlier that looks like it does lpcm 7.1 to analog, or encoded audio to optical... But I don't think it decodes or encodes if you wanted lpcm 5.1 => something optical, etc. And it was $50.

Back