I'm using ALC850, and I just upgraded my drivers to the 4/13 drivers from realteks site (my old drivers were about a year old, haven't updated in a while). Mostly did this to mess around with kernel streaming in foobar.
I also finally got around to setting up spdif passthrough. Now here is my main issue:
Sound plays fine, foobar works with both directsound and kernel streaming, great, no errors. I open up zoomplayer (my dvd player of choice, so far at least). And spdif works correctly, and as expected the audio other streams mute out (since spdif can only send 1 encoded stream at once). This is as to be expected.
However, after I close zoomplayer and go back to listening to audio through foobar/gaim/whatever, it sounds like poop. there's a bit of crackling related to bass and lower midbass output, almost crackling and with a sort of echo in the crackle. somewhat hard to describe. Needless to say there is distortion.
My first attempt was to get rid of kernel streaming in foobar and run a totally normal setup with spdif. This did nothing. Even without foobar running the sound is bad in gaim. So it's not related to kernel streaming.
My next thought was that maybe my receiver gets screwed up when switching like that. It's a denon avr-1905 receiving optical input from my realtek, set for direct-mode right now (I only have a 2.1 setup right now, and I'm using headphones while doing this). So I turned the receiver off and back on, thinking it might have gotten the streams confused or something. This did nothing. So it's definetely related to the computer output.
Next I restarted the computer, computer boots back up and normal audio is fine. I open up zoomplayer again, sound players through spdif fine. Close zoomplayer and boom the problem pops back up again.
Oh, I'm using DScaler for my audio in zoomplayer.
Any ideas on what else to do would be helpful.
I also finally got around to setting up spdif passthrough. Now here is my main issue:
Sound plays fine, foobar works with both directsound and kernel streaming, great, no errors. I open up zoomplayer (my dvd player of choice, so far at least). And spdif works correctly, and as expected the audio other streams mute out (since spdif can only send 1 encoded stream at once). This is as to be expected.
However, after I close zoomplayer and go back to listening to audio through foobar/gaim/whatever, it sounds like poop. there's a bit of crackling related to bass and lower midbass output, almost crackling and with a sort of echo in the crackle. somewhat hard to describe. Needless to say there is distortion.
My first attempt was to get rid of kernel streaming in foobar and run a totally normal setup with spdif. This did nothing. Even without foobar running the sound is bad in gaim. So it's not related to kernel streaming.
My next thought was that maybe my receiver gets screwed up when switching like that. It's a denon avr-1905 receiving optical input from my realtek, set for direct-mode right now (I only have a 2.1 setup right now, and I'm using headphones while doing this). So I turned the receiver off and back on, thinking it might have gotten the streams confused or something. This did nothing. So it's definetely related to the computer output.
Next I restarted the computer, computer boots back up and normal audio is fine. I open up zoomplayer again, sound players through spdif fine. Close zoomplayer and boom the problem pops back up again.
Oh, I'm using DScaler for my audio in zoomplayer.
Any ideas on what else to do would be helpful.