Sparkling artifacts on Dell 3007WFP

kkapoor

n00b
I recently acquired the Dell 30" LCD display and have noticed some artifacts on the screen. It's a type of sparkling effect that occurs briefly when you turn on the computer initially and when the monitor comes on from being in sleep. The problem lasts only for about 2-3 minutes minute before it dissapears.

I am not sure if it is a problem with the cable or with the monitor itself. The monitor is running off a ATI X1600XT card with Dual-Link support. I've ruled out the video card (rightly or wrongly) since it does not affect the smaller 2405FPW I had earlier. Any ideas on what might be causing this problem?

Well, this has happened before with bleeding-edge DVI setups (remember when the first 2405s started flooding the market and pushed the limits of some cables / cards?) where the DVI signal has trouble getting to the screen. I have serious doubts that it's the card, though, since ATi seems to have their DVI output quality in order these days.

I guess you could try another shorter, higher quality cable. Couldn't hurt.

__Maad__ said:
Well, this has happened before with bleeding-edge DVI setups (remember when the first 2405s started flooding the market and pushed the limits of some cables / cards?) where the DVI signal has trouble getting to the screen. I have serious doubts that it's the card, though, since ATi seems to have their DVI output quality in order these days.

I guess you could try another shorter, higher quality cable. Couldn't hurt.

Thanks _Maad_, I suspect its the cable as well. I reinstalled the drivers to see if that would help. If it continues I will replace the cable. I'll post my results.

what about your DVI cable position? Is it running next to a power cable or AC adapter brick? Just try to isolate the cabling and see if it helps any. I wouldn't rule out the graphics card completely, maybe try to exchange it for an identical card?

look also at ATI's knowledge base.... artifacts are sometimes caused due to the ati card. ati recomends reducing dvi frequency in the video card options in addition to other options ...

it might be worth a shot before you buy a new expensive cable which i think will not make a difference, but i could be wrong....

I am having a similar experience with a Dell 3007 connected to a Mac Pro w/ an ATI x1900 video card. I see some green sparkles about 15 minutes after a cold boot. If i power cycle the display the problem goes away and doesn't return.

I may try the shorter cable fix. I have to say that my current 3007 was received as an exchange for one that had a horizontal line sync glitch when it warmed up. I didn;t have a problem with sparkling pixels on my previous 3007 though. It seems like each 3007 has its own issues.

Back