• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Spark then nothing. Help!

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
My computer has been acting weird all day with suspected RAM errors. Programs would take forever to open and close, and to log on and off. I finally just got a BSOD with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which cemented my belief that my RAM had just gone out. To check, I pulled out my trust Memtest floppy and put it in. After it booted up, I remembered I forgot to plug in the power cable for it after I rearranged my cables. I powered off, opened the side, made sure I was grounded, and plugged in the power cable. I booted it up and there was a blue spark from the floppy power plug. Now nothing. The computer refuses to boot up at all. The LED on the motherboard is on, but that's it. Nothing else. What the hell happened?
 
sounds like you plugged in the floppy cable wrong and it shorted out(and killed) your PSU

try unplugging the floppy and booting it back up or trying a new PSU in it

PSU=power supply just in case you didnt know
 
Floppy isn't plugged in now and it won't boot. I don't know how I could have plugged it in wrong, I've done it dozens of times before, and it only fit one way. I'll see if I can dig up my Axio 480w that came with my case. If not, I'll have to buy a new one to test. All I have are old Dell and gateway psus, and a Hipro that only puts out 8a on the 12v rail; not nearly enough to power my gt long enough to see if it posts ok and to run Memtest.
 
if you miss a pin then floppy goes bye bye, that what happened to me at a lan but luckly my PSU didnt die. just the floppy. ahhhh i will never forget that lan.... so many things went wrong with my computer.
 
yea.....find a new PSU and test it


offtopic-
isnt it wonderful how stuff always goes wrong when you NEED it to go right? :rolleyes:
 
WHAT THE HELL!

I unplugged the cord and let the capacitors drain. Went away for a while. Just for the hell of it, I plugged the power cord back into the back. Booted up perfectly fine. I went to reset my router (net problems) was almost through, and I got another BSOD with the same error. I figured I had nothing to lose so I plugged the same cable back into the floppy. Booted up 100% completely fine and I'm running Memtest now.

Computers never cease to confuse me.
 
The error your're getting is a driver issue most likely, not a hardware issue. One of your drivers is causing loads of problems, do you by any chancehave a linksys nic in your system?
 
Nope. All my drivers I had installed for a minimum of 1 month before I reformatted a few days ago. Only different ones are nVidia 6.6.something. I've been having RAM problems for a couple of months now and it has been getting progressivly worse.
 
Does your Mobo have an onboard sound Card? And if so, do you not use it and instead use a PCI Sound card. If you do have a PCI soundcard and onboard Sound on your motherboard. Try yanking out your PCI Sound Card and using the Onboard Sound instead.

Also it could be the CPU generating too much Heat. Check your temperatures in the Bios.

It could also be from a firewall : Zone Alarm, Black Ice etc...

Could be RAM too. I saw somewhere that even swapping your memory sticks (if you have 2 sticks) might even address the problem.

As stated already this is usually due to buggy drivers. But nobody can really say for sure.
 
Any way of islotating the offending driver? I've used most of these for months without problems. Only new one is the nVidia driver. Then again, it started getting sluggish when I installed a third optical drive on the same IDE channel as my hard drive, but I'm not sure if they are related.
 
Back
Top