SpaceX Keeps Lining Up Covert Military Launches

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Elon Musk and his SpaceX venture are continuing to rack up customers in both the commercial and military launch markets. As a matter of fact Spacecom is coming back for repeat business even though they lost a satellite last year in a launch pad explosion. It appears reusable boosters are driving costs down and giving SpaceX a huge advantage in the market. I hope the prices come down enough so average Joe can afford a trip into orbit.

Somehow, it seems, SpaceX has restored confidence in its customers after its failures in 2015 and 2016. This year, it has launched 15 missions, reusing three of its boosters. On that string of successes, Spacecom is returning to SpaceX’s launch manifest along with an array of customers lining up for dramatically low price - and the opportunity to sign up for an even cheaper recycled booster launch. The value proposition is even appealing to that most cagey of customers: the United States military.

The prices for launches are coming down, but probably not to what you think. I mean, there were really no competitors in that market until recently, (discounting foreign governments). Launching a satellite for 80 million buys a lot of risk, but compared to a typical 400 to 600 million dollar service, the risk becomes smaller.

Prices on "flight proven" boosters are not that much lower than factory new units, however you can get an earlier launch slot by opting to go the used route. This is because each Falcon booster needs 9 Merlin engines, and production capacity is limited; they can only crank out so many new boosters a year.

"Spacecom is coming back for repeat business even though they lost a satellite last year in a launch pad explosion."

IIRC Spacecom had insurance on the satellite (and again IIRC most launches do), so they may have "only" been out the time to build a new one.

NASA frequently builds mockups and/or test articles that are more or less fully functional and can be used as replacements if an original is lost. Given how long build and testing can take, it makes a degres of sense. I don't know if private companies go to that length.

NASA frequently builds mockups and/or test articles that are more or less fully functional and can be used as replacements if an original is lost. Given how long build and testing can take, it makes a degres of sense. I don't know if private companies go to that length.
Reminds me of that old rule of government spending: "Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"

Does someone have a reference for how much customers save if they opt for a refurbished booster?

Back