SpaceX ISS Docking Mission Gets Feb 2012 Go-Ahead

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The US is going back into the space business, but this time around it will be on the shoulders of SpaceX, a private sector venture. The Dragon cargo transporter will execute a series of maneuvers to test the hardware and sensory equipment prior to approaching the ISS and attaching to the space station.

Glad to see space exploration being privatized. Everything the federal gov't touches turns to shit.

I know, right? The interstate system, US post office, and all the branches of the US military are all shit. I mean, government control is the worst possible thing. California is so much better off with privatized utilities. You know what we should privatize next? The police. While we're on the subject of privatization and deregulation, let's just deregulate that whole internet thing. I mean, the government is doing such a shitty job right now, I bet we'd all be in better shape if we let Comcast and AT&T manage the internet, don't you think?

I know, right? The interstate system, US post office, and all the branches of the US military are all shit. I mean, government control is the worst possible thing. California is so much better off with privatized utilities. You know what we should privatize next? The police. While we're on the subject of privatization and deregulation, let's just deregulate that whole internet thing. I mean, the government is doing such a shitty job right now, I bet we'd all be in better shape if we let Comcast and AT&T manage the internet, don't you think?

I for one look forward to our new corporate overlords. :D

On a side note: only someone who does not actually work in the private sector or high enough up the chain of command in the private sector believes that it is somehow inherently more efficient.

I so completely agree with you.

the capsule and its crew will splash down in the Pacific

sigh.. why cant people proof read their own news stories before they post them?

thats from the linked article. I rarely see such issues here thankfully.

dis da intertubez. We givs not a phuck about grammarz. :D

What...exactly is the problem?

"The capsule and its crew" = the crew belongs to the capsule
"The capsule and it's crew" = "the capsule and it is crew"

Everything isn't quite that black and white. Some things are better left to the government and some things are not. In the case of aerospace, privatizing is probably better. Privatized airlines have already proven to be efficient when regulated by the FAA. There's no reason why aerospace wouldn't be either.

Oh and by the way the US Postal Service is privatized (but regulated) despite popular beliefs.

Much, if not most of the interstate system was not built by the government, it was contracted out to private companies. However, even that is not efficient as the bidding system is rigged more than half the times. So the taxpayers are paying more to get something done than it should cost.

Post Office, they are not funded by the taxpayers (yet). However they are regulated by the federal government as being the sole monopoly of delivering standard mail. The USPS system falls apart because of two thing.
1) Even though its "private", it operates no differently than any other federal agencies (same benefits and retirement), meaning it pays out more money than it takes in. You can thank the unions for this mess.
2) Because they are a monopoly for standard for the past couple of centuries, it leads to point above, the USPS organizes has had the government mentality of unlimited and unrestricted revenue.
3) Internet and email, compounded with point 1 and 2.

Military. Unlike other branches of government, military is disciplined on its own level. This is probably the only thing the government is good at because it run and operated by military people, not by politicians and bureaucrats. You can hardly use military as an example of government competence since military is so detached to the civilian operations of government.

You want to regulate the internet? You want to regulate the last remaining bastion of freedom and liberty? I got a better idea, you can live in China or N Korea, and lets us know how you like it. If it weren't for deregulation of the communications laws, a lot of the technologies you probably take for granted today would not exist.

BTW, I've already got dibs on whatever first company to a fully functioning Gundam with a beam saber.

Military. Unlike other branches of government, military is disciplined on its own level. This is probably the only thing the government is good at because it run and operated by military people, not by politicians and bureaucrats. You can hardly use military as an example of government competence since military is so detached to the civilian operations of government.

Perhaps the military is good at fighting, but it can't be used as an example of a well run bureaucracy , either. Paying contractors $50,000 - $10 for the parts, $49,000 for shipping? F-22? F-35?

Perhaps the military is good at fighting, but it can't be used as an example of a well run bureaucracy , either. Paying contractors $50,000 - $10 for the parts, $49,000 for shipping? F-22? F-35?

No one said they are efficient with the money. As far with $10 parts and $50k, that's a bit of an exaggeration out of a Hollywood movie. However, as with any large organization, public or private, there will be bureaucracy, that is just a fact of life.

Could the military be more efficient with the money? Of course.
However, that said, I'm all for unmatched US military supremacy, because I don't believe in equal footing nonsense, but that's another topic for another day.

No one said they are efficient with the money. As far with $10 parts and $50k, that's a bit of an exaggeration out of a Hollywood movie. However, as with any large organization, public or private, there will be bureaucracy, that is just a fact of life.

Not from a movie, a real case where the parts were a few hundred dollars, and they charged tens of thousands for the shipping. The terms are too generic and it happened a long time ago, having trouble google'ing the source.

Back