SP2 slowing down Internet

Synful Serenity

[H]ard|Gawd
I have noticed that since putting SP2 on, there is a noticeable delay in just about every web page that loads up....even Yahoo. I have tried tweaking obvious settings, but the lag in loading pages stays. The system appears to run the same otherwise....Also, if I roll back to SP1 the problem disappears, but starts again if I reinstall SP2...Any explanations?

In WinXP SP2 the maximum number of connections has been decreased.

Windows Firewall perhaps? What are your general system specs? Does this happen with FireFox as well, or just IE? Do you use FireFox? What? Why not? Do you have any program designed to provide extra Internet security or anonymity like Steganos Internet Trace Destructor? Why do you want the Internet to be fast anyway? (j/k)

The maximum number of connections thing shouldn't be a problem unless he's running a dozen (or more) different connections to the web at a time. With Trillian, multiple pages in Avant, Outlook, and my VPN connection to a remote client, there has been no slow-downs with SP2. The most likely reason could be some type of spyware trying to access something Windows is now not allowing. I would suggest checking netstat -a and listing the connections here first, and possibly tossing out a HijackThis log to make sure.

I dont know if I am the first person to say this or not but... I think that SP2 has increased performance of my system overall... at least it "feels" faster.

I slipstreamed it tho on my P4C 2.8 @ 3.2 w/ HT on, 1GB DDR433, Raptors in Raid 0...

For me, I love SP2.... I never expiranced problems yet.

GreNME said:
The maximum number of connections thing shouldn't be a problem unless he's running a dozen (or more) different connections to the web at a time.

Agreed. A quote from MS website:

"The TCP/IP stack now limits the number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts. After the limit has been reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and will be resolved at a fixed rate. Under normal operation, when applications are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no connection rate-limiting will occur. When it does occur, a new event, with ID 4226, appears in the system’s event log."

If SP2's connection limiting is a factor, then the OP should have the above mentioned ID in their event logs.

Back