• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SP2 Problems? Help me test a theory?

t. shuffle

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
381
If you've installed SP2 and have had problems, I need your help.

Run hijackthis and post your log here.

It'll only take a minute of your time, and I think it might end up being helpful to a lot of people.
 
It would be even more helpful if we knew what you were looking for instead of having countless pages of hijackthis logs. We can't test a theory unless you tell us more.........
 
I'm looking for countless pages of hijackthis logs from people that have had problems with SP2. I'm not asking you to test a theory.
 
t. shuffle said:
I'm looking for countless pages of hijackthis logs from people that have had problems with SP2. I'm not asking you to test a theory.

What "connection" are you trying to make between XPSP2 and what you see in hijackthis logs?
 
SJConsultant said:
What "connection" are you trying to make between XPSP2 and what you see in hijackthis logs?

If people will quit shitting in this thread and just play along, I have a feeling the connection might just make itself obvious.
 
t. shuffle said:
If people will quit shitting in this thread and just play along, I have a feeling the connection might just make itself obvious.

The only thing obvious in this thread is your childish and disrespectful behavior to an otherwise legitimate request for more information. :rolleyes:
 
t. shuffle said:
I'm not asking you to test a theory.

Despite the fact your title says "Help me test a theory"? Does that make any sense?

If your having a problem, post the problem. If your trying to compare the logs across different computers, you can do that yourself without filling up the forums with redundant logs.
 
SJConsultant said:
The only thing obvious in this thread is your childish and disrespectful behavior to an otherwise legitimate request for more information. :rolleyes:

I thought the original post was fairly obvious. You know, were it said "If you've installed SP2 and have had problems, I need your help.

Run hijackthis and post your log here."
 
djnes said:
Despite the fact your title says "Help me test a theory"? Does that make any sense?

I suppose I could have said "Will you help me test a theory?", but yeah, I think it makes sense.

djnes said:
If your having a problem, post the problem.

I'm not having any problems. Zero. As hard as I try, I can't get SP2 to break anything.

djnes said:
If your trying to compare the logs across different computers, you can do that yourself without filling up the forums with redundant logs.

I'm trying to compare logs across computers that have had problems with SP2, and seeing as how I have not, that's kinda hard to do on my own.

And, as for filling up the forums, it's one thread.
 
t. shuffle said:
I suppose I could have said "Will you help me test a theory?", but yeah, I think it makes sense.

Heh, you did say "help me test a theory"... in the title. Don't you hate it when your thread gets long but not for the reason it was made? :p Seriously though, work on the phrasing... I'd help but no issues here... Dangit!
 
What kind of problems with SP2 are you looking for logs from? Incredibly minor problems, or something big?
 
Unfortunately I just worked on a SP2 Box, but returned it ot the client. Only problem of note was that the firewall wouldnot allow AVG anti virus to download virus definitions. Even when specifically adding the program to the exception list, it wouldn't work.
 
t. shuffle said:
I thought the original post was fairly obvious. You know, were it said "If you've installed SP2 and have had problems, I need your help.

Run hijackthis and post your log here."

It may be obvious to you what you said and what you want people to do, however your attempt at communicating it failed miserably since only one person has posted their logfiles without question. :rolleyes:

Since I haven't had any problems with XPSP2, then I can't be of any help.
 
forget those others, they just enjoy talking down to damned near everyone on these boards.

all of my SP2 machines have been runningit for about a month now, and would be "dirty" IMO. However I'm building a sweet system for my mom and I'll get sp2 on there with full patches and post a log for ya.

If i'm thinking along your lines, you want a base reference to compare other logfiles towards.
 
Fark_Maniac said:
forget those others, they just enjoy talking down to damned near everyone on these boards.

:rolleyes: Yeah thats why we responded to a thread where someone asked for help testing theory... (And you're welcome for the free bumps... ;))
 
Fark_Maniac said:
forget those others, they just enjoy talking down to damned near everyone on these boards..

When the OP contradicts themselves, it does warrant a post to ask for clarification. Pardon us for taking the time to read the thread and get involved. Contrary to popular belief, us longtime members have not acquired ESP...therefore, we need clear, concise statements, and necessary information when asking for something. Furthermore, when you create a thread asking others for something, the last thing you want to do is give them an attitude. That, at one time, was cause for bannage. If you look at my post count, you'll see I've spent a good amount of time on here answering questions. I enjoy doing so. But not if I have to make guesses as to what the OP means, or what the thread is asking for, or if the OP develops an attitude towards those wanting to help.
 
it is not contradictory. He's asking for help to test a theory, but not asking you to test the theory. from what I gather, that means he wants material to work from. Not for you to come to a conclusion about what he's wanting tested. does that make sense to everyone?
 
Sure, but if he wants people to play along, a little more info wouldn't hurt. There are a lot of smart folk on this board, ask them the right question, the right way, and you will get lots of help. However, I doubt these same people will go on a hunt for a needle in a haystack without a reason why.

I doubt everyone has hijackthis installed. Some would install it, just to give the OP log results, if they though the cause was worth while. Otherwise, you get what your getting.

He's asking for help to test a theory, but not asking you to test the theory.
Sure, and a lot of people are morons too (nothing against the OP, I have no idea where your going with this thread), should we all go test all their 'theories?' Aren't some of us smart enough to make decisions about what we feel is worth our time testing?

What's the big sekret?
 
Although the OP was not perfectly clear what he wanted, i understood what he meant. I also noticed the heavy amount of thread crapping. Why is it so hard to ignore a thread you don't care for? Just say no.

If I get my hands on another XP SP2 machine in a few days, ill post up some info. Hopefully the thread wont be closed by then because "the question was answered" LOL
 
Just for kicks I'm gonna lay it out how I took the thread. Right or wrong, big deal. Just my first impression when I came in. I saw the thread topic someone was wanting help testing an SP2 theory. So I clicked it. I then saw that his actual thread content stated criteria that I didn't meet since I haven't had any problems. But I'm thinking since he asked for help why not see if I can be of service, no biggie. This is how SJ felt as well I'm sure. I don't personally think his response was insulting or anything, unfortunatly its a common thing for people to make a thread but not include the details they should. A safe assumption was made by SJ that the OP needed a bit of prompting to post more info. I think if Mr. Shuffle really wanted help he wouldn't have responded the way he did. On top of that, SJ posted again ignoring the rude reply continuing to try to help since the thread title was asking for it. Once again Mr. Shuffle responds and tops his previous rudeness. Tempers flare, violence breaks out, utter mayhem ensues, burning flesh, corpses everywhere, etc. My personal impression is that Mr. Shuffle isn't trying to do anything helpful here, he's trying to discover something he can pat himself on the back about. Sorry, the words just create that impression for me. For all he knows, someone already discovered what he is looking for and its common knowledge. :p
 
Here's what I was looking for with this whole thing:

From what I have seen, all of the people that have had problems with SP2 are those that have used it to patch an existing install. I don't think I've heard of anyone who's installed it clean (i.e.: slipstream) having any problems.

Microsoft themselves have said, in a nutshell, "Don't install this on a dirty system. It doesn't like being installed on top of malware/spyware. If you do, you will have problems."

What I was hoping for with the logs, was to maybe start to see some common denominators among the people whose upgrades didn't go well.

While Hijackthis is by no means an all-inclusive indicator of all the nasties residing on one machine, it's fast, easy, and a good starting point.

I apologize if my original post seemed a little cryptic.
 
t. shuffle said:
Here's what I was looking for with this whole thing:

From what I have seen, all of the people that have had problems with SP2 are those that have used it to patch an existing install. I don't think I've heard of anyone who's installed it clean (i.e.: slipstream) having any problems.

Microsoft themselves have said, in a nutshell, "Don't install this on a dirty system. It doesn't like being installed on top of malware/spyware. If you do, you will have problems."

What I was hoping for with the logs, was to maybe start to see some common denominators among the people whose upgrades didn't go well.

While Hijackthis is by no means an all-inclusive indicator of all the nasties residing on one machine, it's fast, easy, and a good starting point.

I apologize if my original post seemed a little cryptic.

I think thats a great idea. Maybe afterwards sum up and post the ones that show up the most since some probably will go cross-eyed trying to decipher the logs... (/me :p )
 
t. shuffle said:
Here's what I was looking for with this whole thing:

From what I have seen, all of the people that have had problems with SP2 are those that have used it to patch an existing install. I don't think I've heard of anyone who's installed it clean (i.e.: slipstream) having any problems.

Microsoft themselves have said, in a nutshell, "Don't install this on a dirty system. It doesn't like being installed on top of malware/spyware. If you do, you will have problems."

What I was hoping for with the logs, was to maybe start to see some common denominators among the people whose upgrades didn't go well.

While Hijackthis is by no means an all-inclusive indicator of all the nasties residing on one machine, it's fast, easy, and a good starting point.

I apologize if my original post seemed a little cryptic.

Thanks for the detail. I guess the first post after yours should have been "Can you please explain your theory so that we can better understand what you need". I haven't had any problems but if I run into any issues over the next little while I will post mine.

Sounds like a good project.
 
See a little explaination goes a long way... This is indeed a worthy project, if I run into a machine that has issues, I'll install hijackthis and get you a log. Good luck
 
See...it's all about the means of communication. Good ideas are often covered by their shoddy descriptions. All it took was a re-phrasing of the original content. It is a good idea, and when I redo my home system this week for SP2, I'll post my logs as well.
 
Ah, now that's more like it. I hope this one goes far.

If I see any issues with SP2, I'll keep this thread in mind.
 
Come on. I knew what he meant all the way from the first post and you guys were breathing fire down this throat over something you didn't get? :rolleyes: Bunch of cynical lawyers you all are.

My HiJackThis

-J.
 
GeForceX said:
Come on. I knew what he meant all the way from the first post and you guys were breathing fire down this throat over something you didn't get? :rolleyes: Bunch of cynical lawyers you all are.
-J.

OldPueblo explained everything perfectly a few posts ago, and the OP did apologize stating that his post might have been a bit cryptic.

Now seeing what the OP wants to do, I will post a logfile from any system that has problems when being updated to XPSP2.

No need to stir the pot any further when everything has been settled already. :p
 
Back
Top