SP2 Install Gone Very WRONG

bignasty

Limp Gawd
It looks like installing SP2 with Group Policy, doesnt always work so well...

wth.jpg

Yeah. I just pushed SP2 to 300 XP workstations with managed software in AD. I'm glad I didn't see that pop up on any of my WIN2K systems...

Anyway, what you are seeing is a managed install of Service Pack 2 on a AD domain. Windows 2000 is supposed to see this update, and then ignore it, but it looks like this person had a Windows 2000 machine try to install it...

Bugalaman said:
what is the point of this thread :confused:

The screenshots show Windows XP SP2 being installed on a Windows 2000 machine which should not be happening in the first place.

Post any information you find out bignasty as I just took over a mixed network and will be deploying service packs to machines in the very near future.

As far as I know, it is just a fluke. My network is part of the Kentucky Department of Education, and actually, SP2 was just pushed Enterprise wide. This is several thousand windows XP computers and a few thousand windows 2000 computers on the same network. I have only heard of this happening to a few win2k computers, so I don't think it is very common. That picture came from a tech guy in a different school district as I.

This is very interesting, I'm curious as to what he's going to dig up on the cause of this. Has anyone contacted Bill and told him about this?

I'm interested in if the OS still works, and how things are working, as well as if the changes in the SP made their way into 2k.

I beleive what happened was the install got so far along and then stopped, it just rolled back everything. Of the the thousands of installs done this way that i know of only a few mishaps like this make managed installs a pretty good way to migrate to sp2

bignasty said:
I beleive what happened was the install got so far along and then stopped, it just rolled back everything.
That's what I figured would happen, though I agree it is very odd to have gotten past the original version check. I wonder what happened...

Of the the thousands of installs done this way that i know of only a few mishaps like this make managed installs a pretty good way to migrate to sp2
I agree.

Back