SP2 - Had to uninstall AV, Firewall

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
Just a warning to anyone having trouble installing SP2. I ended up having to uninstall NOD32 and Sygate Firewall, plus CloneCD and Alcohol for good measure (this was per MS instructions). Not sure which was the culprit as I just trasjed all of them at once. Instal went fine after that. Just a hassle to have to re-install everything.

i installed sp2 with alcohol 120%, clonecd, norton av, and sygate personal firewall all installed, haven't had any issues.

Aye, I have Nod32 running and went fine. Must have been a precautionary warning?

Definitely NOT precautionary. My SP2 install crashed three times to BSOD and I had to uninstall the remnants of SP2. Last time trashed the system so bad I had to do a command line unistall from the original XP install CD. Kept getting a BSOD "winserv" error right before desktop. Once I uninstalled those 4 progs, install went like butter.

I don't always like to defend Microsoft, but it's getting a little old to blame Microsoft for some of the problems with SP2. The Beta has been out for a long long time, where companies have been able to test their software with it. It's time to start blaming these companies for not testing their software, instead of always pointing the finger at Microsoft. I'm not necessarily saying that's what your doing...those comments just needed to be stated.

I don't know about the cd burning applications, but, I bet the problem you had with the firewall was the same I had. It came with the firewall service set to run by default even if your original setup had it set to off. Normal firewall applications don't use the MS service (what would even be the point then anyway) so that causes all kinds of troubles. In my case it just screwed things up where I couldn't get to the internet until I found the issue and disabled that service.

Which service are you talking about Nazo? Your firewall, or the MS service looking for it? I think I am starting to have problems as well. The MS security center nazi is telling me I have no firewall running even though Sygate is up and turned on! Now I can't get out on the internet either!

That is a quick fix...

1. See if there is an update to your AV/firewall. Norton Antivirus Requires an update before Windows can see it as a firewall.

2. Go to control panel ->security center ->select from the left side "Change the way Security Center alerts me" ->uncheck virus proteciton, or firewall as applicable.

After that all the warnings and annoyances will be gone.

Rustynuts said:
Which service are you talking about Nazo? Your firewall, or the MS service looking for it? I think I am starting to have problems as well. The MS security center nazi is telling me I have no firewall running even though Sygate is up and turned on! Now I can't get out on the internet either!

Hrm, well, the interferer was the MS firewall, but technically speaking you could just as easily blame the issue on ZoneAlarm since the issue was a conflict between the two. Just turning off the MS firewall service solved my particular issue.

BTW, OldPueblo, sounds most of those are issues MS will have to work on or ignore (and listen to the complaints.) Most of the stuff listed there was an older version of current programs, so they can't tell the other companies to fix the issues that have already been fixed.

I installed SP2 with NOD32 and Zonealarm running. Everything turned out fine...

Nazo said:
Hrm, well, the interferer was the MS firewall, but technically speaking you could just as easily blame the issue on ZoneAlarm since the issue was a conflict between the two. Just turning off the MS firewall service solved my particular issue.

BTW, OldPueblo, sounds most of those are issues MS will have to work on or ignore (and listen to the complaints.) Most of the stuff listed there was an older version of current programs, so they can't tell the other companies to fix the issues that have already been fixed.

MS has nothing to do with them not working technically. SP2 is set in stone, there's no waffling, and those manufacturers have had plenty of time to modify their product to make sure it works with it. Service packs aren't optional, they become part of the OS, and XP will shortly begin selling with SP2 built-in from the get-go.

Nazo said:

Even if it is an older version...if it's still supported by the company, than it's up to them to make sure it works. The consumers paid those companies for their software.

Uhm, they did. The support comes in form of a free upgrade to a newer version with supposedly less issues. There are only a few companies low enough (and broke enough I might add) to refuse to give people free upgrades to newer versions.

Anyway, don't misunderstand me. I'm not blaming MS. They can't test every single possibility under the sun. I'm merely pointing out that you can't blame the companies either. The issue is just an inevitable thing that comes with such upgrades. Sometimes it goes the other way around and when you update a 3rd party program, it causes troubles with an old version of windows or something like that. It happens.

Back