Soyo 26" Monitor $325 shipped after coupon, Paypal

adamadekat

Gawd
I definitely don't take credit for this, it's ripped from theshocker on SlickDeals. I just wanted the people who don't frequent SD to see this.

Officemax has a 26" Soyo LCD monitor on sale for $380 with free shipping:

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21622004&category_Id=288

They also have a promotion where if you pay by paypal you get 20% cash back (max $25), so that brings the price down to $355.

Then you can use a $30 off $150 coupon (search ebay or ask in the slickdeals coupon forum) to bring the total price to $325 with free shipping!

think im in for one... but.

I have a 24" Soyo now, and a 22" Westinghouse hanging on the wall on a vesa mount...

It appears to be a TN panel. Reviews also seem to indicate that it's a lower-quality-than-your-normal-TN panel.

The only full review I could find was this one: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=191&Itemid=68&limit=1&limitstart=8

This year, SOYO has us convinced that the Pearl series could be mistaken for a premium product with it's elegant looks and refined bezel finish; until you look at either the price tag or connection panel. Where I think that this product shines brightest is how it can offer only the basic features without looking the part. The PVA panel would have been a welcome touch, but the TN panel is far from poor quality.

I was going to post an "in before the TN bashing begins" message earlier, but I see I'm too late. ;) If you're going to bash, at least give a link to the review of the exact product (which is no longer bashing and becomes welcome information), or offer a comparable deal for something better. General bashing is just dumb.

this monitor COULD have been a good monitor.. but this is my experience with the 24" Soyo Pearl:

Microcenter had them for 300 AR

I drove there, picked one up, drove back home.. dead pixel in middle of screen

Drove back to microcenter (each drive is about 25-30 miles) to return. Checked the next one I got AT the store. That one had a dead pixel too.

Checked 2 more, one having 2 dead pixels, one having only 1.

The fourth one appeared to have no dead pixels. Brought it home, and loved it...... for 3-4 weeks

3-4 into owning it, it starts looking like the top right corner has a bad problem.. the pixels are looking like black lines and a big white square was appearing. So.... I brought it back to Microcenter.

Got to test the next monitor at Microcenter. This new one looks "almost" the same. Now there is a silver strip for buttons.. and the screen is NO LONGER GLOSSY!! GRRRR.

But once I plugged it in, saw 2 dead pixels.

Got another monitor, 1 dead pixel.

Another monitor, 1 dead pixel.

Another monitor that appeared to have no dead pixels. Drove back home. Plugged it in and on DVI, noticed 2 dead pixels.. GRRRR..

Drove back to Microcenter, pretty much everyone knew me by name now.. Had them credit my payment back to my card, and went to Comp USA and bought the Samsung 2493HM 24". Still a TN panel but noticably better than the Soyo. No dead pixels now, smile on my face, and no more Microcenter. I'd have to say their customer service was very pleaseant though so I got no beef with MC. Especially this guy in the tech support department named Timothy.

Don't get me wrong through.. the soyo looked good. My girlfriend has the Topaz 24" and it is amazing since it is a MPVA panel and has no dead pixels. The one I had for 3 weeks was excellent since there was nothing wrong with it. The question is.. even if you get one that is in pefect condition, how long will it stay that way before you have dead pixels appearing? Make sure to get the extra service plan if you do buy it. And definitely buy B&M or somewhere with a good dead pixel policy. This way you can return it.

I was going to post an "in before the TN bashing begins" message earlier, but I see I'm too late. ;) If you're going to bash, at least give a link to the review of the exact product (which is no longer bashing and becomes welcome information), or offer a comparable deal for something better. General bashing is just dumb.

Bashing? Seriously? I made no comment as to my particular TN vs. IPS vs. MVA preference. I don't see anything in my post about TN's being bad at all. I googled the model number saw some forum posts complaining about the quality of this panel vs. other TN panels - here's one:

http://forum.benchmarkreviews.com/showthread.php?p=13884

I saw the Emprex thread. If you're still pissed at Hamidxa, don't take it out on me - doing so "is just dumb."

Bashing? ... I googled the model number saw some forum posts complaining about the quality of this panel vs. other TN panels - here's one:

http://forum.benchmarkreviews.com/showthread.php?p=13884
That's a big difference now. You linked to a user review that contradicts the same review I linked. Someone can use that to judge the quality a lot better than someone (who has never even seen the LCD in question) jumping into a thread proclaiming:

you said:
TN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It appears to be a TN panel. Reviews also seem to indicate that it's a lower-quality-than-your-normal-TN panel.
The only review I found does not say that, and I underlined it to make it easy for you to follow. User reviews are a mixed bag. I wanted to see if there were user reviews of the Soyo on newegg because user reviews became a lot more helpful since each review is tagged if the user actually purchased the item. It cuts down on useless bashing reviews made by kiddie morons. There are plenty of mental cases out there who foam at the mouth at the mention of TN (cough). Just keep watching this thread for more examples. ;)

Anyways, I don't believe in buying an LCD sight unseen except in very narrow cases (i.e. no question of the specifications, or nearly complete satisfaction with a particular model). In my thread I even pointed out that the Emprex was on display to examine. I feel the same way about this LCD. If someone can't get out to OM, a professional review is the next best thing.

That's a big difference now. You linked to a user review that contradicts the same review I linked. Someone can use that to judge the quality a lot better than someone (who has never even seen the LCD in question) jumping into a thread proclaiming:

I proclaimed nothing other than "reviews seem to indicate that" this particular monitor may not be up to snuff. This preface to my statement was intended to indicate to others that while I have no particular experience, a review I have read indicates that [blah blah blah]. This is generally the function of such a statement. I did not say that my experience indicates that this monitor is lower than average. My point was to indicate the type of panel that was used and indicate that there were negative reviews. Under your rationale, I can't post any opinion about the monitor unless I own one or provide some sort of citation to the original source I guess. I didn't know we had the same requirements on this board as scholarly journals.

User reviews are a mixed bag.

Reviews are a mixed bag - website, user or otherwise. Who needs a professional review for a monitor. It's pretty basic - you look at it. If it looks good, it's good. If not, it's bad. I'd give the website's experience the same weight I would a post from someone who owns the monitor.

The only review I found does not say that, and I underlined it to make it easy for you to follow.

I don't need your help understanding what I'm reading, nor do I appreciate the (not-so) subtle insult. Initially, I wanted to simply point out that I thought your characterization of me was unfair. Since you're going straight to statements like "I underlined it to make it easy for you to follow," I'll just call it a day.

You win - congrats.

welcome to the internet ladies and gentlemen, we hope you enjoy your stay :)

Isn't this something that can be sorted out with private messages between you two? The entire forum doesn't need to see your debate. This is just a thread about the monitor. If you have important reviews/opinions on the monitor, then fine. Let's keep it appropriate.

Back