SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

purchase isnt very risky, and it is a fix for a bad power supply. if that isnt your scenario it might not be worth it for you. all said and done i spent $40 and about 40 minutes to get a working 24" monitor. i think it was well worth it. on my blog i will put detailed info on how its done (will probably have it posted tom.). the whole process is really very simple

ok everyone, i did a quick walk through on my blog on how to replace your psu. I will polish it up a bit more later in the week.

ok everyone, i did a quick walk through on my blog on how to replace your psu. I will polish it up a bit more later in the week.

Thanks for all the work you did! Can I reasonably assume that if my monitor won't turn on that the problem is the power supply? (i.e. is there any other possible reason it wouldn't turn on? and yes I tried a different power cord and wall socket) My monitor died at the end of March, a mere four weeks after the two-year extended warranty I purchased ended :( So I can't get my money back. But since I really miss using the monitor, I'm hoping it can be fixed. The Acer H243H monitor I'm using now just isn't nearly as nice (and only 1080 height instead of 1200).

Your welcome AdonSage, I would assume that it is your power supply that is the problem. My monitor flat out would not light up, turn on or make any noise when I plugged it in. Putting a new power supply fixed it right up. Good luck in getting yours up and running.

Is the last pic on your blog the PSU they sent you or the old one? If the latter, do you have any pics of the new one?

This is the one they are currently substituting, along with an unattached IEC 14 socket. (Also should note that you can probably find a cheaper agent than taobaogle)

Last edited:
This is the one they are currently substituting, along with an unattached IEC 14 socket. (Also should note that you can probably find a cheaper agent than taobaogle)

That definitely looks different than the one I bought. It looks nicer than mine, not that it matters that much.

The one on my blog is a picture of the old one. I am going to put some pictures of the new one up.

Thanks guys.

That definitely looks different than the one I bought. It looks nicer than mine, not that it matters that much.

The blue one is supposed to show a marked improvement in the reliability department. They were nowhere to be found when I was shopping for one several months ago and I didn't want to buy the older model only to have it die again.

Hi guys:

I have a SOYO 24" since 2007 and enjoyed using it all the time. Since I am happy with it, when I recently upgraded my computer will dual-display I was trying to get another SOYO 24", but it looks it is no longer available for sale from any stores.

I don't want to get another standard 1080P 24" monitor since they are not 1900X1200, thus not identical with the SOYO. So I have two options here: Either get ride of the SOYO I have and buy two identical 1080Ps, or buy another used SOYO. I am willing to pay 200 + shipping for the SOYO, and I would like to get 200 + shipping for my ones too.

BTW, is there any 1900X1200 monitor sort of identical with this SOYO so there might be another option? I just buy another 1900X1200 monitor to match this SOYO. Suggestions?

No, no other monitors currently in production that I know of match the Soyo panel (some are better, many worse, it's getting colors similar that's the real problem), so you either need to find another DYLM24D6 (make sure it's a PVA panel, not one of the late run TNs that are horrible) or sell yours and get 2 of something else at you said. Good luck.

i have one id sell for a fair price, the pva panel 1920x1200 soyo, i have three i could part with one

Thanks guys. I have decided to bite the Hannspree 28" LCD Widescreen from Costco and see how it turns out.. It is 1920 X 1200 too, has lots of good reviews, hopefully it works out. Otherwise, I will return it to Costco. For $250 + tax + shipping ($20), it worth a try.. I will come back if the Hannspree doesn't work out..

handsprees are TN, viewing angles and color suck... ive used them. let us know what you think though.

I am writing on the new Handspree... for the first day, I really had a hard time to adjust the brightness/contrast.. it was way too bright and made my eyes uncomfortable...all the characters are very sharp though..

After a whole day's of use, it is getting better (warmed up finally? or my eyes getting used to it? ). I have decided to keep it. If any one has any calibration data and willing to share it, I would appreciate..

thanks..

handsprees are TN, viewing angles and color suck... ive used them. let us know what you think though.

I didn't have any problems last 3 years, this morning sweet monitor showed "No Signal". I did hear circuit trip from the battery backup unit. This must have corrupted EDID. Is this true?

How do I fix this "No Signal" issue? I need your help. Thanks.

I am writing on the new Handspree... for the first day, I really had a hard time to adjust the brightness/contrast.. it was way too bright and made my eyes uncomfortable...all the characters are very sharp though..

After a whole day's of use, it is getting better (warmed up finally? or my eyes getting used to it? ). I have decided to keep it. If any one has any calibration data and willing to share it, I would appreciate..

thanks..
what do you think of the viewing angles?

Is anyone else getting the most horrible burn in known to man?
The colors and contrast was amazing, until 2yrs of usage when these dark smudges started appearing all over the screen. :(
These smudges doesn't go away either, even if I had the monitor off for several days.

burnin.jpg

Anyone know of a fix? Or does anyone who doesn't mind these smudges wanna buy my lcd?

Jesus. Mine isn't nearly that bad, but yes, I have some nasty burn-in that seems to be permanent. It's only noticeable with a gray background. But seeing as I do a lot of photo editing, it grates on my nerves and is getting very hard to ignore.

Extremely frustrating, given how I've been fortunate enough not to have PSU issues after three years, and the image quality is so great aside from this nagging issue.

If you leave it off for quite some time (weeks, possibly months) the "burn in" /may/ disappear. Of course, it could be there just as strong as it is now. All a question of if it's really burn in or just high levels of image persistence.

Is anyone else getting the most horrible burn in known to man?
The colors and contrast was amazing, until 2yrs of usage when these dark smudges started appearing all over the screen. :(
These smudges doesn't go away either, even if I had the monitor off for several days.

burnin.jpg

Anyone know of a fix? Or does anyone who doesn't mind these smudges wanna buy my lcd?

Mine has some awful image persistence too. I've found that having it run a screen saver for a while, or something that just changes up the images helps...but if I leave it on with my desktop up, I'll see after images of all my icons for days :(

Mine isn't too much image persistence as it is near permanent burn-in.
I have my screensaver set to come on after 3 minutes and I ALWAYS turn off the screen when I'm leaving it.

As you can see, this isn't image persistence as those smudges have nothing to do with what was on the screen. It's not like an icon persisting... but they're smudges.

I've tried quite a bit of stuff. I can't seem to get rid of it.
But I will note that when this Soyo had a month of downtime while I was getting the PSU replaced... when I turned it back on, those smudges were gone. But within a day, they were back and has been there ever since.

So mine died, I replaced the power supply, and presto, it's working again. However, in the process of replacing the power supply, I nicked the display board cable, so now my colors are all off. Anyone know where I can find a replacement display board? Thanks.

ugh, my power supply is dying AGAIN! I think it's only been a little over a year. Trying to decide whether to just buy a U2412 and be through with this soyo garbage.

Hey I probably need to replace my power supply soon, in the blog with instructions of this process a commenter mentions that they needed to solder a few things for theirs. I have read that others did not need to do this.

Since I don't have a solderer and I don't have any experience in that, I was wondering if it is something I would run into or if there was anything I should check before getting the new power supply?

Hey all, if anyone wants one, I'm finally letting go of my Soyo monitor power supply unit. Also, my little boy scratched my monitor, so I'm very sad and mad now, I just want to sell it. I don't feel like keeping it beyond its PSU failing point (if it goes that far). The scratch is not deep, about 2.5 inches and in the middle of the screen. No dead pixels, that's for sure.

I have one of these for sale.

I have had it for about four years, 1.5 years of which this monitor went unused.
Six months ago I replaced the power supply with the TaoBao board and it worked fine for a few months. Now it will stay on for an hour or so, and then turns off. No burn-in, no scratches, etc.

It was great while it lasted but I just don't want to deal with it anymore.
$50 + actual shipping takes it (I'm in Los Angeles if you want to pickup locally)

The power supply in one of my two Soyo's died a few days ago.. Once my paypal acct is refilled, I'll order a couple via taobaogle..

If that doesn't work out, and if anyone is still watching this thread, Has anyone found a suitable replacement?

I'm considering the Samsung SyncMaster S24A850DW.. It may require some work to cut down the backlight bleed though. (DYLM24D6 has none of this..)

Forget taobaogle.com. I tried to order from them, and the site did a 1-1 conversion from CNY to USD! (order canceled)

I did some research, and found some recommendations for TaobaoRing.com
I ordered two from them, and it's gone very smoothly so far.
I specified the items, They emailed be back with the price to purchase them ($19.01 for two).
Once they arrive at their warehouse, then I pay again for shipping to the US.

Also, does anyone know which is the newer version of the supply?
The one with the black, open heat sinks:
http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=13316553786&cm_cat=0&pm1=1&source=dou

or the one with the two silver "bridge" sinks:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=5825510319&cm_cat=0&pm1=2
(this is the one that failed in mine.)

Last edited:
This thread is probably hardly read by anyone at this point, but it must be a testament to the perceived quality of the Soyo monitor that so many people would care so much to keep the darn thing working.

I bought my monitor 4 1/2 years ago at Office Max, then about 2 years ago I did the Taobao upgraded power supply fix.

In recent weeks after a couple of hours the monitor would suddenly momentarily show strange colors as if one of the RGB channels was dropping out. Then last week from time to time there would be horizontal streaks flashing on the screen. The streaks gradually became more common, and finally a few nights ago I sighed and decided to crack open the case once again. I hoped that if it was a mechanical connection then I might be able to just disconnect and reconnect all the internal cables and all would be well.

Well, I did that, but in addition I noticed a smallish aluminum panel screwed to the bottom of the display. Underneath were a half-dozen chips, and curiously it looked like some of them had heatsink compound on them, mating them with a gooey heatsink material on the aluminum plate. But some of the chips were not covered at all with compound. Hmmm. Could they be dried out and getting too hot? I put on fresh compound, buttoned everything up, and so far the monitor is as stable as a rock. The lack of heatsink compound could have been the issue, or maybe it was a poor contact in one of the connectors, but once again the monitor is performing great.

I do note, however, a slight burn-in. Curiously it appears only in the upper part of the screen. I wonder if some LCD goo of some sort is slowly migrating down to the bottom.

If that's it (and if it gets bad enough you figure "nothing to lose") you might consider looking up tutorials on how to remove the antiglare coating from LCD panels. If it's not the panel itself but rather something in the other layers, removing that could get you back to a perfect picture.

Back