SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

You sure you don't have the "hilight" 'feature' on? Mess with the controls a bit more. There is some backlight bleeding with my D6, but it's minimal.

Is the non-MVA D6 a crap monitor? All the OMs around me are out of the E6 so I can't return my D6 for the E6.

If I'm just gaming, will I notice a $90 difference between this TN D6 and a BenQ V2400W?

That's definitely PVA\MVA panel.
Ya thats what I thought but the slight color change of LAGOM at angles kinda confused me! Thanks for confirming.

You sure you don't have the "hilight" 'feature' on? Mess with the controls a bit more. There is some backlight bleeding with my D6, but it's minimal.

Yup some backlight bleeding at less than normal/default brightness/contrast, at higher than normal/default brightness/contrast, a lot of backlight bleeding.

Thats what I turned on, FULL, for the photo shoot, and had the contrast/brightness to 50.

* I enabled FULL MODE while taking the pictures.
** Too much backlight bleeding & too bright for my eyes, so my usual settings are Brightness/Contrast=10, color temperature is USER & R/G/B=21.

Bam! Proud owner of a thoroughly used Soyo Topaz D6 here. It's definitely a VA panel, armed with no dead pixels and a vigorous break-in period as the display for our store. The Omax employee discount was finally worth something. ;) When it went on clearance, I snatched it up as fast as I could.

check out my piece of soyo crap.

It's 22" from officemax, it's no 24" but it's same piece of junk with a cluster of bad pixels, prob same panel manufactur of same low grade panels.

_DSC8433.jpg

_DSC8434.jpg

build quality is the worst i've seen... worse than viewsonic crap

Keep in mind I haven't messed with Viewsonic since the CRT days of yore, so I could be out of touch here, but since when did they start being known for crap build quality. News to me.

I've used their graphic series CRT for a while, I had two (one older one newer of the p series crt monitor and both had series quality problems, first quit working in a year(screen went blank), second a little over 2 years (one corner's color is significantly distorted and darker than other areas despite adjustments)... I've tested the crt with nokia monitor testing tool and a lot of results are not good, like sharpness and focusing. It is true the monitor had a whole bunch of advanced calibration tool but none of them fixed the problem in the tests. corner still out focused, color still uneven...

I work at my school and the office had bunch viewsonic tn lcds, those are incredibly bad with viewing angle (maybe less than 140 degree). color is horrific, even after a hardware calibration with spyder2pro, nothing gets fixed, color is still horrific and completely unuseable for photo editing after calibration (thank god we had couple G5s for the job)..

I'm not familiar with viewsonic's other panels or if they made any va or ips panels.. I think this company is all about out sourcing and profit now days and lost their mind on quality assurance...

my Soyo 24 is holding up really good. i did replace the stand "that was my only dislike"

it got moved to my back up computer due to my gameing needs the Samsung 22 worked out better.
My wife puts in 3 or 4 hrs a day with the soyo every day and loves it. colors are still fine no darkening or anything yet, it looks as good as it did day one.

im allmost as happy with it as my gameing monitor ;)

can anyone quickly summarise for me the two panels used in this model? sounds like there's a 6ms G2G MVA version, and a 3ms G2G TN Film version? Any ideas of panel manufacturers / parts for either?

thanks

Alright so I'm noticing horrible burn of page outlines from writing documents and such on my P-MVA Soyo 24". Is this normal? It goes away after an hour or so.

I'm about to sell this thing to someone that does more office and photo based work and get a TN panel if this is what all P-MVA panels are like.

I got "burn-in" a little, but only after left a widget in place (on top) for the span of a few months. I moved the widget and it faded away gradually over a week. Wonder if increased brightness/contrast affects the severity...

Mine is like six months old at least now and Iooks as good as the day I bought it. No dead pixels, no burn in. Mine is the M-PVA version. I'm really 100% satisfied!

Man I just bought a couple of those HP 2408 displays for $200 that were advertised from buy.com a few days ago.

The stand is better, the bezel is better, the gloss screen is better, but I can't get past the six bit panel. The colors are way better on the 8 bit Soyo. I've got no backlight bleed on my soyo too - which is a huge positive. I guess I'll have to sell these two 24" HP six bit panels and stay with the good old soyo. I just wish it had a better stand!

I just wish it had a better stand!

Ergotron Flex stand. $35-40 shipped, easy enough to find. The Soyo uses a standard VESA 100 mount, so you literally remove the 6 phillips head screws holding the original (horrible) stand on the back, remove the 4 screws left as placeholders in the corners of the square VESA mount on the back of the DYLM24D6, line the holes thusly revealed with the holes on the Ergotron and use the thumbscrews included with it to install it. Takes about 10 minutes.

The Ergotron Flex gives you height adjustment, better tilt, and the ability to rotate the screen (rather awkward due to its size, have to tilt it all the way back and lift it all the way up first, but once rotated it's fine). I've got one, and I would not be using the Soyo without it.

Well, after almost exactly 1 year of service, my Topaz S is down for the count.

I posted about some heat issues I was having a few months ago earlier in this thread. Those issues continued to persist despite better cooling in the monitor's environment, and eventually resulted in some faint, permanent screen burn-in.

Then, at about 9 months of daily use, I began having an issue where any time an on/off message was sent to the backlight (e.g. launching a game in fullscreen, or rebooting the PC), the screen would flash and then the backlight would go out. Turning the monitor off and on resulted in a brief glimpse of the desktop, then a flash, and again the backlight would go out. The only solution was to wait for 30+ minutes while the monitor cooled down to room temperature, then power cycle it. The display would then function completely normally, until another on/off message was sent to the backlight, and then the process would repeat.

By the time this was happening regularly and I had managed to identify the exact steps to reproduce and resolve it, I hit my one-year warranty expiration.

I've ordered a refurbished Dell 3007WFP-HC in place of another 24".

Best of luck to anyone relying on this monitor.

Then, at about 9 months of daily use, I began having an issue where any time an on/off message was sent to the backlight (e.g. launching a game in fullscreen, or rebooting the PC), the screen would flash and then the backlight would go out. Turning the monitor off and on resulted in a brief glimpse of the desktop, then a flash, and again the backlight would go out. The only solution was to wait for 30+ minutes while the monitor cooled down to room temperature, then power cycle it. The display would then function completely normally, until another on/off message was sent to the backlight, and then the process would repeat.

By the time this was happening regularly and I had managed to identify the exact steps to reproduce and resolve it, I hit my one-year warranty expiration.

Same problem here. Thought it was a heat issue at first, but the problem happened even when I used the monitor with the back cover off.

Just ordered a BenQ G2400WD. It will be interesting going from a MVA panel to a TN, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

I've been using mine for computing and lots of movie watching for the last 5 months and have no problems :) It shipped with 1 stuck pixel but that's no big deal.

Mine shipped with no issues; I've had it about a year. It briefly had a single blue stuck subpixel at one point, but I ran one of the 'flasher' apps and positioned it over it, and it was gone overnight. It's been months and has not recurred.

I take it these are completely unavailable anywhere other than ebay (super risky) and it seems overstock and buy.com have them but I've read warning that the DYLM24D6 is now using a TN panel inside with the same identical model number :(

What Settings

Brightness
Contrast
and
User settings do you choose on your Soyo?

I did, but compared to the Soyo 8 bit MPVA panel that most of us in this thread have - - - - - the 6 bit 26" TN panel is going to look really crappy.

I heard someone say in a thread dedicated to that 26" deal.

It's huge - a 26" monitor for 250!!!! Who cares how it looks.

I thought huh? That's precisely what I care about most in the display I purchase. Picture quality on a display is really the most important matter!!!

To my amazement, I found a 2007 SOYO D6 in Officemax today, but unfortunately it was the display model. Everywhere else has been sold out for over a month, maybe two and MVA panel is impossible to find any other brand now.

I'm using it now and there doesn't even appear to be a single dead pixel or scratch on the screen.

But to my great sadness, when I reset the background to blue, I suddenly noticed a long "stain" running down the entire right side of the panel about an inch wide. It almost looks like when a CRT is being driven at the wrong frequency and the image start folding on itself.

I can't see the stain when the object over it is white or black. But any color shows it.

Is that inside the panel? Is there a bezel on top of this that is possibly something I can remove and clean?

Or do I have to take this back? It would be sad. I was so happy to find a MVA (oh and $200 too)

Thanks for any help!

ps. when I see some color in the black text, is that because it's a vga cable and not digital? will it go away when I get a digital cable?

update: oh i just thought of something, is it possible my vga cable is picking up noise or has something else wrong that's making the display do that on the side? Wish I had a DVI to test it with.

Vibe, are you planning on purchasing a DVI cable? For a monitor with a resolution this high, it would be a good investment. You could also see if the "stain" is because of the VGA cable. Check out monoprice for great DVI cables (and other quality cables) at very reasonable prices.

For the text issue: I don't see that problem with my SOYO unless I am using Cleartype.

I am using cleartype, because I like the thicker letters.

Oh I know to get a DVI, just never needed one with my FW900.

I thought there would be one included with the Soyo, because I remember reading the SVA did not have one and people said the SOYO did have one. But they couldn't find one for it and I wasn't going to buy one at their prices.

I guess I have 14 days to find out if it's the cable or not.
Should try the stock cable, currently using my FW900's heavy duty VGA cable.

I swear the black on the website background here is blacker than my desktop black. Very weird.

Still getting used to this over a CRT. Dot pitch is not as fine.

When they say this is not 1:1 mapping, does that mean it's really not 1920x1200 ?

It's weird, I swear as the monitor has warmed up for over two hours now, I can only see the "stain" when I set the background as grey - no other color will show it.

1:1 means when you set the resolution to 800x600 (or any resolution other than 1920x1200), it will be stretched out to fill the screen.

I think the 1:1 mapping is referring to when you use resolutions lower than the native 1920x1200. It'll be "stretched" instead of showing exact amount of pixels.

I've been running two of these for over a year and they're still solid. Though I think I'm starting to notice a slightly annoying low hum when these things are on. I recall setting the volume to 0 fixed it for me when I noticed a hum/buzz when I first bought them...but maybe it's something else now.

Well, after almost exactly 1 year of service, my Topaz S is down for the count.

I posted about some heat issues I was having a few months ago earlier in this thread. Those issues continued to persist despite better cooling in the monitor's environment, and eventually resulted in some faint, permanent screen burn-in.

I've ordered a refurbished Dell 3007WFP-HC in place of another 24".

Best of luck to anyone relying on this monitor.
Same thing here. Considering the Dell 30" or 2 2408's.

My third Topaz S (first one died after two days, second one after a month or so) is still going strong after over a year--much to my astonishment. No dead pixels, no power issues...having said that, I've probably jinxed myself and it will explode while I'm grinding through Fallout 3...

Same thing here. Considering the Dell 30" or 2 2408's.

Sorry to hear that. Though it's interesting that three of us have had the same problem. Most likely a design or manufacturing defect, then.

I got a refurb Dell 3007WFP-HC, and it arrived looking brand new. Have been using it for a couple weeks and am thrilled with it. Colors are fantastic, unit design is solid and sleek. I was a little worried that the size would be overwhelming for gaming, but have been playing Left 4 Dead on it maxed out with no issues. Love it. The free 3-year warranty is also very comforting.

Well, I've had this monitor for a little over 5 months now, and the DVI port has died. I'm running it through VGA and fortunately it has none of the fuzziness others have complained about when using VGA with LCDs.

Has anyone else experienced any wackiness with the DVI port with this monitor?

Well, I've had this monitor for a little over 5 months now, and the DVI port has died. I'm running it through VGA and fortunately it has none of the fuzziness others have complained about when using VGA with LCDs.

Has anyone else experienced any wackiness with the DVI port with this monitor?

I don't know if it is the DVI port, but my monitor was having trouble in December. About once a day, the LCD would start flashing black lines and wouldn't stop until I turned off the monitor and put it back on. Tried on another computer and same thing happened. However, I seemingly have fixed this issue by bumping down the brightness and contrast to ~13 in the monitor's settings. I purchased this monitor back in early November, 2007 and this has been the only issue I've had.

Also, the black line problem started when I started to play Sacred 2 in the desert region and they seemed to only occur at that place and when I was browsing gmail.

I've had mine for about 9-10 months now with no issues. *knocking on wood* Is there anyone that has a working flawless monitor for a year or more?

I've had mine since October 7, 2007, and have had no problems with it whatsoever (except that getting brightness/contrast/color to look just right is sometimes a challenge). Overall I think it's pretty nice, definitely beats a TN in IQ but has nice low input lag. I wonder if an IPS would look any better, and if one with comparable input lag can be found.

Back