SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

A friend of mine just picked one up. It's the 6bit box (3ms rating) but he's confirmed it's an 8 bit panel because there is no negative imaging or darkening when looking from top or bottom. They must be moving to the 6 bit panels, but trying to get rid of the old 8 bit inventory in the new 3ms labeled boxes. Seems a bit shady eh?

Mine is going back too... It reminds me of my laptop, constantly readjusting trying to find a sweet spot, and never really getting there.

Now I just have to remember to get to OfficeMax next week when I get back from St. Louis and before I leave for Washington DC...

ok, just got mine in the mail - it is definitely a TN panel - it is going back to Officemax.
manufacture date: 2007.12
s/n SCU7521E7050086
MT-GW DYLM24D6
used the test at this site:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I have it sitting by the Westy L2410nm.
when looking at it from below at 45 degree angle you can see a "negative" effect.

Good news. I took my TN version back to the Officemax store and got the last box marked 6ms. The panel has a 2007.11 manufacture date. There is a world of difference between these two panels. The MVA panels does not exhibit inverted images when look at it from above or below. Colors are much more natural and accurate.;)

Two things
1) Has anyone done any image delay tests with the Soyo PMVA? I'm curious about how bad the lag is, but don't have a CRT to take pictures with.
2) Does anyone have pictures of the Soyo with a custom stand?

I bought one of these suckers tonight to join the ranks with you guys.. Picked it up from the local Office Max.. was in a 6ms box.. definate PVA panel, 2007.11 build date.. almost looks as good as my 52" Samsung (*VA panel or better).. This is a phenomenal bargain if you can still find a 6ms version.. I have no issues in any FPS/gaming.. moves silky smooth.. as well as my friends 2ms Samsung panels.

Just having a PVA panel is world's easier on your eyes.. trust me on this for those still thinking about TN panels. I use a TN panel at work all day long and it's nothing but a joy to come home to a real quality panel.. Where colors have meaning and viewing angles don't mean a thing..

Oh yeah, my 2007.11 has no stuck/dead pixels, it's not running hot (mildly warm at the most) and no backlight bleeding.. there's just a uniformly even gray haze over the entire screen when displaying a pure black image.. But that's to be expected with a *VA panel.. Even my $3000+ Samsung 71-series has the uniform gray haze from the backlight... Not going to avoid this until you step into the LED arena.

Cheers,

Jay

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems from the posts here that any Soyo 24" monitor with a build date of Nov. 2007 or earlier is definitely a VA panel.

Well I just hope that if I decide to buy a 2nd one that the 2nd one is also a *VA panel.. that'd be a huge disappointment.

Jay

quick question, installed a new video card and now i can't output to 1900x1200 over dvi as it maxes out at 1024x768!? with vga i can get 1900x1200, any ideas? if it's my cable, which was fine with my old video card, any recommendations?

quick question, installed a new video card and now i can't output to 1900x1200 over dvi as it maxes out at 1024x768!? with vga i can get 1900x1200, any ideas? if it's my cable, which was fine with my old video card, any recommendations?

You sure your drivers are installed properly? What card is this? The 8800 GT? Reinstall ForceWare drivers and try again.

Is this monitor suitable for fast paced gaming? I assume the TN version is but what about the VA panel?

Is this monitor suitable for fast paced gaming? I assume the TN version is but what about the VA panel?

yes, no more ghosting than my 19" samsung 940bw TN screen, i have the VA panel (no negative images standing below or above or viewing from either side)

I won pretty much every round at far cry out of 8 people at the last LAN using this monitor. No ghosting at all on the 8bit MPVA panel - so no worries there. Screen quality is fantastic.

It's definitely fine for gaming, just make sure your card can push 1920 x 1200... and you sit farther back :p

I got my Soyo 24D6 in Dec 2007. It has just started to flicker/blink for a couple of minutes then is ok for hours. I'm wondering if heat might be a problem as summer arrives.

If I were sure it would prevent the problems from developing, I probably would've gotten one and dremeled better ventilation into the back of the monitor housing.

I saw this in an earlier post. Is he talking about drilling holes in the back panel?

Should I consider removing the back panel to prevent possible heat stress on the monitor?

Not hard at all unless you find yourself extremely bad at using a screwdriver and being a tad be cautious.

how hard is it to take off the rear panel?

Not hard at all. Set face down it on something soft so the screen doesn't get scratched, and pull every single screw you see, including the ones holding the base on. Then pop the back off. Stick a small flathead between the halves and twist it. It's snapped on. Go slow with this and it'll be fine. Reattach the base, and you're good.

Should I consider removing the back panel to prevent possible heat stress on the monitor?

I mounted a 1200 rpm 120mm fan running on a 9v power adapter behind my display, its always nice and cool.

No problems at all with the display from the day I got it last December................:D

got any pics of mounted fan?

It's not mounted directly to the display its self, I have a hutch and the fan is mounted to that and it sits back off the rear of the case a few inches blowing directly into the displays vent holes. Its nothing fancy, but it works and its silent............:eek:

you guys are nuts.

there's no reason to mod your monitor.

My 24" soyo barely even gets warm..........

you guys are nuts.

there's no reason to mod your monitor.

My 24" soyo barely even gets warm..........

Hello, and welcome to the [H]ard|Forum. If I'd kept mine it would have ended up with dual 120's and a fanbus.

After three and a half years you should have figured out the madness. If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. :D

My 2 Soyo's are running perfect, I really have to tweak them a bit more.

I've found I get even better colors by tweaking them individually instead of setting it to 6500k...

Hello, and welcome to the [H]ard|Forum. If I'd kept mine it would have ended up with dual 120's and a fanbus.

After three and a half years you should have figured out the madness. If it ain't broke, fix it till it is. :D

As they say in the old country, mod it till it bleeds.............:D

What was the production date your unit from futureshop? I hope there's a production date labeled on the outside of the box somewhere.

well when I looked at the back of mine it said 2007 12 so I was worried but it doesn't seem to be a TN... box says 3ms... it has one big fat dead pixel though :mad:

EDIT:
Okay now I'm totally confused. I can't tell whether it's a TN or not. When I look at it from the sides the picture stays pretty much intact from any horizontal angle. But when I lift the panel up and look at it from an extremely shallow angle from the bottom, the colors change. I mean, it gets darker, brighter, I don't know, it looks weird :p

I have looked at the color tests at the lagom website. The colors do change slightly when I look from the top or bottom. Does that mean it's definitely a TN? Do pva/mva panels not change at all? Or maybe a little bit? This is the first LCD I've ever purchased so I really don't know what to think. Here are some pictures:

EDIT #2: These are pictures of the TN version. If your monitor looks like these, you have a TN.

Picture.jpg

Looks fine from the front!

Picture015-1.jpg

And from up top it looks okay, maybe a bit brighter...

Picture016.jpg

And from the side things look good...

Picture011.jpg

But as you can see the image is distorted when viewed from the bottom. I guess this is pretty damning evidence :(

What was the production date your unit from futureshop? I hope there's a production date labeled on the outside of the box somewhere.
it's 2007 12 as well.

Does anyone have a calibration profile for this monitor ?

images about tn :(

image inversion from the bottom is telltale TN. I could tell from the side to be honest: you definitely have a TN. Sorry! Even then it's still not a bad deal, its just not an AMAZING deal like it was before.

did that guy ever make the custom enclosure?

image inversion from the bottom is telltale TN. I could tell from the side to be honest: you definitely have a TN.

Well that means when I get my 6ms version it will look even BETTER than this one! :D

Okay thanks for the definitive answer. Back I go. I wonder if I should try another 3ms box or of I should try driving over to another OfficeMax?

Can add me to the owners club of this monitor. Just picked it up at Office Max for $299. Was made in Nov 2007 and worried me it was TN, but nope, VA :D Also not one dead or stuck pixel. Three 24" on one desk, never thought that would work out but it all fits.

But as you can see the image is distorted when viewed from the bottom. I guess this is pretty damning evidence :(

yep thats TN, I guess if it says 3ms response you can tell from the box as my VA Soyo says 6ms. I guess December is when TN took over.

Update: returned TN Soyo. Guy at OfficeMax didn't seem to happy to give me my money back. Drove to another OfficeMax farther away, found a single 6ms box, took it home it says 2007 11... but it has 6 stuck/dead pixels. Returned that one. Found another 6ms box, manu date says 2007 9... has 1 stuck green pixel :mad:

Moral: You can still find 6ms boxes sitting around if you search. Also finding a Soyo with no stuck pixels is really really hard to do:(

Back