South Park : The Stick of Truth

im currently 10.5 hrs in and just leaving cartmans house for the 1st night. Not sure how long the rest of the game is but its still been worth the $45 I paid.

Wow. You spent a lot of time screwing around didnt you? You are about 1/3 or 1/4 into the game.

I did a lot of sidequests (atleast all that I could find) and I finished the game in about 14 hours.

Beat it yesterday, took me 14 hours total. Did every sidequest except the hobo relocation (couldn't find the last one). Overall I think the game was amazing, easily the most fun I've had in a singleplayer game since... Dark Souls?

Anyway, some balance thoughts (played on Hardcore):

-Bleed is just... broken. Bosses NEED to be immune to it and the damage needs to be cut by at least 50%. As it is, you can just stack 5 Bleed first turn and everything dies in 1 or 2 turns. It makes every single encounter trivial since nothing is immune to it except the Sparrow. You don't even have to try to exploit it since so many abilities and equipment stack Bleed.
-Damage ramp-up is a bit weird. There was a point I was doing 500 damage total with a regular attack, then I upgrade to a new weapon and it's doing 1500 per hit x4.
-Maybe it was just me, but I found no reason to use anyone else except Butters. Professor Chaos either does 10k damage to everything or gives you a +9 shield.

Yeah. I already mentioned it. Bleed + Burning (and Gross whenever the enemy is not immune to it) is broken. Combined with damage buffs against enemies suffering those and you end up being OP. You can run through the game without effort.

Last edited:
I did a whole lot of screwing around on day 1. Probably at least 5-6 hours worth. I'm having a great time, too.
Combat scaling seems to be a bit of a weak point. IMO, the early battles were relatively challenging unless you healed a lot. Once I hit level 3 or 4 (and started getting new stuff) it has became pretty easy.
Random question - are the weapons/armor class specific at all? I'm a Thief, but am decked out in gear that is totally non-related.

I did a whole lot of screwing around on day 1. Probably at least 5-6 hours worth. I'm having a great time, too.
Combat scaling seems to be a bit of a weak point. IMO, the early battles were relatively challenging unless you healed a lot. Once I hit level 3 or 4 (and started getting new stuff) it has became pretty easy.
Random question - are the weapons/armor class specific at all? I'm a Thief, but am decked out in gear that is totally non-related.

No. The only difference are your special skills and what reward items you receive as you get promoted. Techincally Thief should rely on status effects (and items he receives reflects that) but in practice you can make him mallet wielding tank who just happens to backstab occasionally.

While I initially ignored it, the "Mug" special ability is unbelievably strong. It deals good damage (not too different from a backstab), it takes items from the enemy, and best of all it stuns them.
It works on bosses, too.
It lacks the default bleeding like backstab, but a status effect sticker remedies that. Once I discovered how strong that power was I more or less stopped backstabbing.
At this point I'm more or less just a tank who just mugs enemies a lot.

It's great to see a game that can be played both ways.

a) rush through it to get to the next game

or

b) enjoy the ride and relish all the humor along the way

11 hours with 30/chopokomon and all side quests done and I wasn't remotely rushing. The game was fun but definitely needs more content.

OK, I don't think I've laughed as hard at anything via any form of entertainment as I did after summoning Mr. Slave. Didn't think that the beginning of Kenny's rat attack could be topped for laughs......

OK, I don't think I've laughed as hard at anything via any form of entertainment as I did after summoning Mr. Slave. Didn't think that the beginning of Kenny's rat attack could be topped for laughs......

"Oooh! Thiz could be kinda fun! Oooh! Oooh! Ooooooh! Jezuz Chrizt."
LOL!

My jaw literally dropped on floor when I realised what he was doing. And then laughed hysterically. The whole thing is so wrong (and so is the final level, dear lord... :D ) and yet so amazing.
In what episodes as Mr. Slave been in? I have not seen them but after that summon I must need to know what prompted Matt Stone and Trey Parker design such... attack? :D

"Oooh! Thiz could be kinda fun! Oooh! Oooh! Ooooooh! Jezuz Chrizt."
LOL!

My jaw literally dropped on floor when I realised what he was doing. And then laughed hysterically. The whole thing is so wrong (and so is the final level, dear lord... :D ) and yet so amazing.
In what episodes as Mr. Slave been in? I have not seen them but after that summon I must need to know what prompted Matt Stone and Trey Parker design such... attack? :D

oh i never tried the Mr slave attack, ill have to try it when i get home.

and ya as soon as i saw Mr slave i was like "NO...they wouldn't nah not going to happpen, OH...SHIT...they are...." then i didn't stop laughing until that whole part ended. and that stupid song that kept playing was hilarious.

Mad[H]atter;1040686368 said:
11 hours with 30/chopokomon and all side quests done and I wasn't remotely rushing. The game was fun but definitely needs more content.

It's ok, you don't have to defend yourself, this isn't that type of game.

It's ok, you don't have to defend yourself, this isn't that type of game.

I do agree that the game is on the shorter side as far as RPG is concerned but its no shorter than watching couple of seasons of South Park in marathon and the joke pacing is also about the same (meaning its on rapid fire). There is always something to smile about. I say the game is well worth the full price.

Mr. Slave can only be summoned "once per day" - so does that mean you only get to use him a couple times in the whole game? I summoned him once to help with a Hobo and just now got a second use on day 2. Do the other summons work like that, too? I want to show my wife the funny stuff, but sometimes you only get one shot.

Oh yeah - for the people interested in where that attack came from, it's this episode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Spoiled_Whore_Video_Playset

Mr. Slave can only be summoned "once per day" - so does that mean you only get to use him a couple times in the whole game? I summoned him once to help with a Hobo and just now got a second use on day 2. Do the other summons work like that, too? I want to show my wife the funny stuff, but sometimes you only get one shot.

Oh yeah - for the people interested in where that attack came from, it's this episode: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Spoiled_Whore_Video_Playset

Yeah thats how Summons work. They are a get out of the battle cards you use when things go south bad (except bosses) but you only get to use them few times in the game.

Finished the game today around 14 hours and 20 minutes total. I did all the sidequests and only missed 1 piece of equipment (exited a room and couldn't go back). Overall, I think it was worth the $60 price not as just a game but also as a hilarious playable season of South Park. I've read that Trey and Matt are not big fans of DLC but I hope they change their minds and add a sidestory quest or two.

My son and I are playing, and he is almost done with his second play through at about 14 hours. I am about 10 hours and on the second day of my first play through. Just taking my time, strolling around from house to house and taking it all in. I love the game so far and I hope they really do well enough to put out either DLC or rapid expansions.

Oh I am sure there will be DLC. Why else there would be a Downloadable Content page in the menu. :)

How is the game for the folks that have watched all episodes but kinda lost interest in southpark over the years...?

Also, what's the ratio of pop culture vs other humour in the game? Jokes about Tom Cruise and stuff like that... I never "get" it... or is it more full of jokes about games/fantasy/characters/children/etc...?

How is the game for the folks that have watched all episodes but kinda lost interest in southpark over the years...?

Also, what's the ratio of pop culture vs other humour in the game? Jokes about Tom Cruise and stuff like that... I never "get" it... or is it more full of jokes about games/fantasy/characters/children/etc...?

Wait for the price to drop, then. For *current* fans of the show, it definitely constitutes the $60. In your case, however, you'd be better off waiting until it hits $30 or less.

I stopped watching Southpark I think within 5 years of it coming out. There were still plenty of references for me to get a good chuckle out of, plus a lot of new stuff that definitely did not require a dedicated viewer to get a laugh from.

I stopped watching Southpark I think within 5 years of it coming out. There were still plenty of references for me to get a good chuckle out of, plus a lot of new stuff that definitely did not require a dedicated viewer to get a laugh from.

I can definitely see someone like you enjoying the game. Just not someone who's watched all of the episodes and lost interest in South Park, such as Youn

While there are some old references, the majority of the plot and references are from the last decade.
It doesn't make it any less funny, but you might not recall some of the random item references or characters.

I stopped watching around the same time when they did that blasphemous Jesus episode. However, I did go online and watch the three episode "Black Friday" arc that ties in loosely with the game. I'm really enjoying the game and am getting all of the jokes and references.

P.S. It's hilarious to summon Jesus in the game and watch him mow down opponents with a machine gun!

I have watched 99% of the episodes from season 1-10 but have only seen 25% of the episodes past season 10 and I get (or at least I think I do) 90% of the jokes. There's a lot of characters from the golden days.

This game is honestly the most fun I've had in YEARS. It's such a nice change of pace from Battlefield lol.

9.5/10 for me. The only thing I knock it on is learning some of the fart skills. It just doesn't explain it quite enough for me. Once you learn it, they're easy but the initial explanations are not very helpful.

also a few things in the combat system are broken as others have mentioned but it's still a damn fun game.

The only thing I knock it on is learning some of the fart skills. It just doesn't explain it quite enough for me. Once you learn it, they're easy but the initial explanations are not very helpful.
Glad I wasn't the only one having issues with that.

Overall, Stick of Truth was a really good experience. I can't remember having any game breaking bugs and it made me laugh throughout my playthrough. Probably doing another playthrough soon to 100% it and try out the Jew class.

I generally don't care for the fart controls even once you learn them. It just seems like a weird mechanic.
That's my only gripe, though. I'm still having a total blast.

Last night, I decided to play about 15 mins of South Park and the next thing I knew, my wife was telling me I had been playing it for 2 hours! I can't remember the last game I got so completely engrossed in that I lost all track of time.

Last night, I decided to play about 15 mins of South Park and the next thing I knew, my wife was telling me I had been playing it for 2 hours! I can't remember the last game I got so completely engrossed in that I lost all track of time.

Same boat. I started at 7 and my wife was watching since she likes the show. After what seemed like about 15 minutes she bailed and the next thing I knew it was almost 10PM.

I made the mistake of getting it on my first day off, with nothing else planned at all. Second day off I was done with the main quest finishing up the side quests and collections. I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a game.

Talk about an excellent game. Reminds me of the old Final Fantasy games. I will gladly buy expansion packs. Fully enjoying this one.

My game will not load any saves anymore. It says Connection to the host has failed.

Any ideas?

My game will not load any saves anymore. It says Connection to the host has failed.

Any ideas?

Sounds like its trying to load a cloud save off Steam and cant get to it maybe?

EDIT - And I just got to the underpants gnome boss fight... I'm speechless..

Last edited:
Sounds like its trying to load a cloud save off Steam and cant get to it maybe?

EDIT - And I just got to the underpants gnome boss fight... I'm speechless..
Underpants gnome boss fight will forever be a part of gaming history :)

I always start with the underpants gnome battle when someone asks me "what's the game like?"

Well, even with doing all the side quests and stuff I finished the game in 11 hours. Near the end it starts wrapping up way faster than I expected it would.

I think the last boss fight was a huge let down compared to the rest of the game.

Back