• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Source Games slow with SLI on

fr500

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 10, 2009
Messages
1,069
I'm testing the latest drivers (190.42), noticed some jerkiness in source games (L4D, TF2), went out and disabled SLI globally, huge improvement.

I enable it again, enabled indicators and it seems to be working fine, but slowness is noticeable even in the title screen where it peaks at 130fps with SLI on, 200fps with sli off.

Now I have SLI off for the game, it's working fine but with single gpu mode.

My HW is
- Intel e8500@4.0Ghz
- 8GB Corsair Dominator
- evga 750i FTW
- 2x8800GTX

Game settings are

1920x1080, everything maxed out but AA


The average is the same 80ish FPS, and peaks over 120fps with SLI, but on slingle GPU peaks over 200fps now and then, I'd stick with single GPU, but minimum FPS is lower than it used to be (45ish FPS on heavy situations)

Can anyone confirm this issue? any ideas=
 
What source game needs SLI? They should run very fast with a single 8800GTX.
 
True that, TF2 on 30 player servers can get a bit heavy at 1080p
 
tf2 is a cpu hog, my Q9650 @ 4.1Ghz i can have %70-%85ish usage on 3 cores playing 1920 x 1080

new updates have made it more intense.

you got most recent drives?

turn down AA and AF?
 
tf2 is a cpu hog, my Q9650 @ 4.1Ghz i can have %70-%85ish usage on 3 cores playing 1920 x 1080

new updates have made it more intense.

you got most recent drives?

turn down AA and AF?

Yes, got the latest ones, might try to rollback a few versions to see a difference.

I know the performance issues, but it's not normal to be slower on SLI ON than OFF
 
Nevermind, was using -sw -noborder to make the game alt tab friendly
 
I noticed a TINY difference going from a single 8800GTS 512MB G92 to a GTX285 OC with my same E8400 CPU. Game wants more CPU.
 
I play TF2 at 2560x1600 everything maxxed. Luckily for me, there is almost no difference between one gtx 280 or two. If I do have SLI on though, I get this (video made by me).
 
that is weird, unless you get tearing o your screen, leave vsync off, vsync contributes to lower MIN FPS.
 
TF2 has weird performance actually, yeah vsync makes game slow, double buffered will always lock up to 60Hz or your screen refresh ratio, triple buffering would help with tearing without affecting FPS that much.

Anyway, the problem is with running in a window. Also found out multicore rendering causes some "lag effect" now and then on my Core2Duo, like me walking over a part of the map and then "rewinding" a bit and forth again, dunno about other processors, at 4GHz seems fine with one core though. L4D has no such issues with multicore.

The windowed mode thing with SLI on still puzzles me, but well i'll just stop chatting while gaming.

An article about v-sync and triple buffering I remember loving tripple buffering in the good times of SNES emulation :D
 
with me it depends on the game. Some I have to leave vsync on for them to work right and i don't get tearing. Source games I have to turn it off or they run really really jerky but I get some tearing with it off.

It's not even micro stutter is like 10fps stutter.
 
going over one part then rewinding sounds more like packet loss


when in TF2 turn on in console

net_graph 1

this will show some info to tell you it is a connection issue or not.

the numbers in the far top right, that is your upload to the server, the top number, usually 66 is the rate, the one below is your actual upload to the server

the 3rd one down is your download from the server, usually 66 as well
the one below thatis your actual rate.

For most people the top one fluctuates alot, while the bottom doesnt so much.

More info
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2_Network_Graph
 
I thought connection too, but not really, problem occured on local server too with multicore rendering, it's like it wasn't syncronized or something, seems to be working fine without it tho. I'll do more testing and report
 
Back
Top