• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Source Engine HDR Review/Benchmarks (HDR+AA Possible)

trinibwoy said:
That's not the point. The point is that given ATi's dominance in HL2 benchmarks and their close ties to Valve it is just surprising that the Ultra is on top by even 1 fps.

Again the level thats benchmarked has a big difference in the fps scores. And the fact that they only benched this at 1024x768 tells us what again? If you go and look for 1024x768 benchs you gonna to see both vendors are close and any differnces is probably at the rest due to driver overhead...so I still dont see whats the big deal? No if you see high res with full aa/af on them maybe...


tranCendenZ said:
Slide #4 is the method they ended up going with. It sacrifices some HDR quality in turn for better support from ATI cards and AA support.

I guess Valve was trying too hard to bash Valve/ATI too, eh?

First of all thanks for that link as I did not see that before. And your right that #3 it the higest mod of Quality. However in those slides Valve pointed out 5 minus of method #3. And only one was due to ATI's limitation. I think that given the other minus that #3 has, #4 makes the most sense.
 
I think it looks good. I really want to play this.

I will say that I think Valve made the right choice in their implementation. The market share of ATi & NV are not like that of AMD and Intel. They would have alienated a very large market segment by doing it with NVs Open_EXR method. We also gain the ability to use AA, which I feel is a better option to have than a slightly better looking HDR method. I think this implementation benefits the largest possible segment of gamers that have this game.
 
i personally don't see a difference, they both look great..


just a post mortem though..

it would be interesting to see what would happen if you had mis-named the images opposite of the card they where taken on..


eg..

screen shot from 7800GTS named at_x800.jpg and the x800 screen named nv_gtx.jpg or something like that just to see how much of a placebo affect goes on when comparing..


just to see what kindof comments you'd get on each picture..
 
Back
Top