• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

soundcard with multiple line in inputs

Yossarian22

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
1,799
Hey, this may sound like a weird request, but I've been searching like hell for a soundcard that has multiple stereo line in ports, 1\8" or 1\4" analog that supports ASIO or a chipset that allows you to use microphone and line-in port at the same time for the same stream under ASIO.

  • Cheaper the better. (looking for cheapest possible solution)
  • Output quality of DAC is irrelevant.
  • Faster ASIO time is better.
  • Internal preferred but external is fine, too.

Strange request but it's for a project.
 

The E-MU 0404 isn't a viable option, only 2x - 1/4" analog inputs (24-bit/96kHz) @ $100

the E-MU 1212M v2 (refurb'd) isn't a viable option, only 2x - 1/4" analog line inputs @ $100

I can't use a mixer either because I need a lot of independent ASIO inputs. the ADC needs to sample above 16khz, too, because most hosts don't like that sampling rate for ASIO streams.

Are there chipsets\cards that can stream both buffered microphone (mono) and line in inputs? They can probably be both utilized as ASIO streams. Anyone? :confused:
 
So you're defining multiple as some value greater than two but less than infinity. Would you care to be more specific? It could save on the guesswork.
 
RME makes some good soundcards... What about the Presonus Firebox?
 
why not use multiple sound cards?

I'm trying. I have a 5 soundcards in this old VIA motherboard (PGA\Socket 370) and it's merely not having it. It's PCI bus controller is very finicky. I'm going to go set manual IRQs.

Also I saw in my quest of googling some PCI controller boards and extensions and some guy had a x86 based mixer with like 16 PCI slots. Dunno why you'd want to do that, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
 
Sorry for not specifying. I usually am very specific when I ask a question (I venture around Gen. Hardware, so it's a given).

Well, the idea is to make an electronic drum brain\set out of a x86 rig (I've never seen it done with x86, but other electronics like Atmel, Arudino, etc...), so that would be:

Bass drum (1)
Snare (1)
2x Rack Tom (1)
Floor Tom (1)
Crash (1)
Ride (1)
Ride's bell (1)
8 inputs (mono, 4 stereo inputs) (4 soundcards with ASIO capable stereo line-ins)

An extra input if you want to get the rim of the snare
An extra input if you want to hit the middle\edge of the ride

That's merely a simple drum kit (I'm by no means a drummer, I just have the hardware and the DIY skills to make it happen and an interest in music) so the more inputs the better. Also I could find other usages for the inputs.

I got the PIII board to recognize the cards that were having issues before (manual IRQs in BIOS, what a POS mobo), now it's a matter of finding drivers for this other card and such.

I know a lot of people around these parts don't do too much recording but are there any cheap cards that allow you to use mic in + line in with ASIO4ALL (3 mono inputs) or a cheap card with 2x line-in ports that somebody knows of?

Basically if you have the computer parts you're trying to beat a $100 electronic drum module but a quick peek on Musician's Friend they don't have any $100 drum modules.

Expect pix in this thread soon. :D
 
Okay, so here's the matrix for cards, using 8, 10, and 12 inputs.

Code:
            1 card    2 cards    3 cards    4 cards
cost        $100      $50        $33.33     $25
8-input     8         4          2.67       2
10-input    10        5          3.33       2.5
12-input    12        6          4          3

  • I don't think you'll find any one-card solutions for the price. Too many inputs, too few people ordering them, so they don't go low-budget much.
  • Four-input cards: the M-Audio Delta 44 is about $100-150. This is double or triple your budget, but it's a solid solution. (There's also the M-Audio Delta 66 with 6 inputs, edging closer to $150-200.)
  • Many cards should do two-input, but this will cap you at 8 channels. Look for both microphone and line-in and confirm that they work simultaneously. For older / cheaper cards, this should be around $25+ each.
  • USB interfaces can be had for around $10 if quality is a non-issue. You can connect a large number of USB devices simultaneously. 8-10x --> $80-100.
Personally, I would bite the bullet and get a couple M-Audio Deltas after shopping around to find a good price.
 
Back
Top