• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Soundcard Upgrade Worth It?

r-486

Gawd
Joined
Nov 9, 2006
Messages
556
I currently use a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic. I'm considering upgrading to an Asus Xonar Essence STX. I don't game anymore, and I don't need EAX. It's mostly for music. I use mid-end headphones and speakers each costing around $300. Is the upgrade going to be substantial and worth it?
 
I agree with Snufykat, but just to be sure...

What headphones and speakers do you have?
Are you using a receiver? If so, which one?
 
SR225i and Bx5a Deluxe. No receiver or amp. I know someone I can sell the card for that uses onboard audio, but I need to know if it's worth it.
 
Has a built-in headphone amp chip, better caps and DAC. I know the caps and DAC would make sound slightly better just wondering if the how much the grado could benefit from the amp. Worth it? I don't care for surround sound so that's not important.
 
An external DAC/headphone amp would be a logical next step IMO... of course upgrading your speakers will nearly always be the most substantive upgrade possible.
 
Thanks guys. I'm in no rush. I'll look into the DAC/amps. Good speakers cost way more than headphones. I got the speakers last year and I'm not going to upgrade them any time soon.
 
Go on Head-Fi.org and ask about what headphone amps would be good with with your SR-225's.
 
Back
Top