• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Soundcard to Amp cable

chronox12

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
127
Hey all...

I am planning on ordering the ART HeadAmp4 Four Channel Headphone Amplifier http://www.amazon.com/ART-HeadAmp4-...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283769342&sr=8-3 later today to power the Audio Technica ATH AD700.

I'm trying to achieve soundcard (X-fi Extreme Music) > amp > headphones. My question is what exactly am I supposed to buy to connect the soundcard to the amp? I'm not seeing any cables included with the amp so I'm confused. I'm an electronics noob so sorry if the question sounds stupid. Oh and side question: Is it okay to connect computer speakers to this? I have 5.1 speakers but they aren't true 5.1 and can be connected using just one 3.5mm cable.

Thanks for the help in advance.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know that I'd suggest ordering that amp. Reason is that it is a pretty cheap amp. $50 for a 4 channel amp means they aren't putting a lot of quality electronics in it. Probably a simple opamp on each channel. Ok, no problem, you don't necessarily need anything better, especially with AD700s (they are very forgiving headphones). However your X-Fi probably has as good or better an amp already on it.

I think you'd be spending money you don't need to. At best I think you break even sound wise and maybe it even decreases sound quality a bit.

Unless you've a need for multiple channels of headphone amplification, stick with the X-Fi.
 
The X-fi Xtreme Music version doesn't have a built in headphone amp. There are just standard ports for speaker connectors. I was buying that amp on a budget because they'll just be powering only those headphones and the reviews seem to suggest it's good enough. If you have another suggestion I'm totally open to it. Any advice on the cable I need? I see two differently sized ports at the back of the device. The larger one I'm not familiar with.

Thanks for your input.
 
another suggestion? don't buy it. your ad700s will sound just fine off your soundcard.
 
You have inputs for both 1/8th and 1/4 inch plugs on the amp you selected. Those are the 2 differant inputs that you see.

I looked up the speakers you have listed in your sig and I dont see a headphone jack on them, which means you will have to get a Y adapter on your Front L/R speaker jack on the soundcard. then you can just use a 1/8th jumper cable (male 1/8th jack at both ends).

Your gonna have a couple problems, first your sound output is set to 5.1, plugging in the headphones will ony pick up the sounds for the front L/R sources, you wont be picking up the sounds going to the Center/sub or the Rear L/R channels. therefor you will not be getting the whole sound picture.

If I were you I would consider getting a USB DAC. A DAC is basicly a USB soundcard aimed at the headphone user. Do a search here and you can find out alot more then I know about them. Theres ones to fit just about any budget.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
another suggestion? don't buy it. your ad700s will sound just fine off your soundcard.

I can't plug in the headphones and have the speakers connected at the same time and that's the problem.
 
I can't plug in the headphones and have the speakers connected at the same time and that's the problem.

A simpler option might be to get a male-to-female extension cord like this.

With one of those you can easily switch between speakers or headphones without having to get behind the computer.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The X-fi Xtreme Music version doesn't have a built in headphone amp.

I think you are confused about what a headphone amp is. A headphone amp just performs two functions:

1) Provides more voltage. Line voltage is only 0.316 VRMS which is not enough to drive high impedance, low efficiency, headphones to any reasonable level.

2) Provides more current. Low impedance headphones need higher current to reach good volume levels, and high current load on components not designed to handle it can cause them to hiss.

That's all. Nothing magic, no special component. Now in a high end headphone amp, this might be accomplished with multiple discrete circuits, and a whole bunch of other stuff to stabilize power and so on. However on a low end amp, like what you linked? It is just an opamp, and a cheap on at that. Nothing wrong with that, opamps work fine, but guess what? The X-Fi has them as well. It can handle direct output to headphones. All Creative soundcards I've ever owned could.

Doesn't matter if it isn't labeled as a "headphone amp" it'll still work.

I'm saying try it. Don't go and buy an amp because some audiophile on some forum said "You have to have it." Try it, see how things sound, then if you think you need somethign look in to it.

I run my A700s right off an Audigy 2 at work and it sounds fine.
 
I run my A700s right off an Audigy 2 at work and it sounds fine.

Speaking of which, you get decent volume with the Audigy? My A700's are usable with onboard (Realtek) audio, but even with the volume all the way up they're pretty quiet. My main PC has an X-Fi Forte with an integrated amp and they sound great
 
Speaking of which, you get decent volume with the Audigy? My A700's are usable with onboard (Realtek) audio, but even with the volume all the way up they're pretty quiet. My main PC has an X-Fi Forte with an integrated amp and they sound great

They can go as loud as I'd want. I've never had them to 100% volume. I don't listen at exceedingly high levels, but then that is a bad idea. For music usually something in the 30% range is fine. For things that are real quiet, like some videos, maybe it does up to 60-70% but I've never had to max it.
 
Back
Top