Soundcard question

Bullio

Gawd
I know absolutely nothing about sound other than it comes out of my speakers.

I recently installed an Audigy 2 ZS on in my main box and now I've noticed a steady popping coming from my speakers. Sometimes, when I boot up, my speakers will crackle so heavily that I won't hear a thing. I'll reboot and it will be fine.

Other times, the speakers will seem fine. Then, for no reason at all, the speakers will start with the occasional popping again. It's loud enough to notice and will happen at times when no sounds are playing whatsoever.

I've noticed that some audio heavy games, such as City of Heroes will really get it going. If I happen to have a day where the popping seems nonexistent, people will tell me they hear it coming through my mic as I talk on Ventrilo. I've done tests after receiving these complaints and found that the my outgoing is indeed popping and it's extremely similar to what comes through my speakers.

I've been troubleshooting to the best of my ability and I've found that it's not my speakers. They never did this before I installed the sound card (when I was using onboard audio). Also, my onboard audio is disabled and the only drivers I have installed are the Creative drivers for the card. Someone once mentioned that I might have an IRQ conflict, but I don't know how to check that or how to fix it if that is the problem.

So, I'm begging you guys, please help me find a solution. Is this a fixable problem or do I need to get a new card?

dear,

make sure that Audigy2 zs mixer unused component such as SPDIF, AUX and mic are muted, otherwise even in rebooting your PC you will hear pops. Try, I hope this is helpful :)

My case temps are fine. I sit in the mid to high forties. While that's not excellent, it does the job. I don't know how to check rail voltage.

Also, how do I mute the SPDIF and Aux?

Thanks for helping, I hope this can get solved without too much headache.

G-Bull said:
My case temps are fine. I sit in the mid to high forties. While that's not excellent, it does the job. I don't know how to check rail voltage.

Also, how do I mute the SPDIF and Aux?

Thanks for helping, I hope this can get solved without too much headache.

Quick bump to get back on the first page and hopefully some help.

See the lil speaker icon down next to the clock? Double click it and start muting stuff.

If you dont see them there, click OPTIONS ====> PROPERTIES and make sure SPDF MIC and the rest are checked... then go back and mute them.

Rune75 said:
See the lil speaker icon down next to the clock? Double click it and start muting stuff.

If you dont see them there, click OPTIONS ====> PROPERTIES and make sure SPDF MIC and the rest are checked... then go back and mute them.

Doh! Thanks. I guess I should have figured.

Will it stay muted as default, or will I have to do this every time I reboot?

One other thing to check is to make sure you disable any onboard audio cards in your BIOS, and make sure you're using the latest creative drivers. That's what solved it for me.

Hope you worked it out...if not

Was wondering if you are running it through an external reciever?
Only 1 either the Reciever or the card. Not both can process the DTS/Dolby . Anyway that was the case with my Sony reciever. It did'nt like getting the processed signal so I had to turn off that option on the card and let my reciever do that part.

Before I figured that out, my problem sounded like the one you describe.

Cool, I tried muting those and there were no changes. I still get the steady popping and the static.

All onboard sound is disabled and the drivers are updated to Creative's latest. So far, no change. It was worth checking though, thanks.

As far as receivers go, the card itself is internal and I have the speakers hooked directly to it without any reciever. I'm using a Logitech surround sound set up and I noticed that the popping is predominantly in the front left and right speakers. All the others are actually pretty silent.

I appreciate your help on this, folks. I'm still working on it. I plan on troubleshooting it some more when I get home.

If none of your wires are grounding out it really sounds like it may be a hardware problem as apposed to software. If you can hook those speakers to something else and have no problems, you can narrow it down quickly to being the card.

Back