Soundcard + Onboard audio

Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
907
Hey guys, I currently have a sb audigy 7.1 soundcard and a asus p5k-se mobo. If I turn my onboard audio on, my soundcard does not work. I would like to be able to use both at the same time, due to having speakers and headphones. I *hate* having to crawl under my desk to plug in my headphones etc, is there any way to make them both work together on Vista Home Premieum? Or, are there any cable splitters I can use to have the headphones hooked into the sound card as well?
 
You need to change the active sound device for whatever you are using.
Some programs dont allow you to select, in which case the Windows default will be used.

Change the Windows default in Control Panel.
 
Yeah, I've messed with that a bit...baisically if I turn the onboard audio on, the soundcard refuses to work no matter what the defaults are set to. =\
 
Tell the application to use the other soundcard.
ie in Winamp
options / preferences / plugins / output / configure
Change the sound device in the pull down box.
 
I'll give it a try, thanks Nenu. Would you be aware of any cable splitters that I could get so I could just have my speakers and headphones plugged into my souncard at the same time? That would seem to be the easiest method.
 
Cool thanks, I was looking for something like that but had no idea what it was called. So, a 3.5mm splitter would baisically take my 3 colored holes and allow me to plug an extra device to them? -.^
 
I probably sound like an idiot, but I don't even know if that is what I need, lol. My sound card has green, black and orange...what I want to do is baisically plug something into those 3 holes that has connectors for both my speakers and headphones. -.^
 
Your headphones only use 1 of the connectors (front stereo), so split for that connector only.
In Control Panel change between 7.1 and headphones, depending what you are using.

Check the manual to see which socket is for front stereo.
Or just try each socket when set to headphones.
 
You sure about the 1 connector? It's got 5 plugs to use, if I don't connect atleast the green, black and orange..I get no sound at all. -.^
 
Each connector is stereo, ie they carry 2 sound channels each.
They are for the front pair, back pair, surround pair, centre+subwoofer.
When you set to headphones or 2.0, the sound will only come out of the front pair socket.

How many sockets do you normally plug your headphones into?
 
Back
Top