soundcard for linux

darkpark

Gawd
I have recently made the switch to Linux and now need a new soundcard. I still have the Asus Phoebus installed, but there's currently no support/drivers for it in Linux.
As such, I'd like to get a new soundcard that will work in Linux and has a seperate headphone/control pod. (at the moment, i'm using onboard audio which works fine in Linux/Xubuntu)
All I really want is to be able to have my pair of m-audio monitors plugged in and be able to easily switch to headphones.
I know that external DACs are often recommend here which is fine since I only need stereo sound, but is there a DAC setup that would offer the flexibility/convenience of having my speakers always plugged in and I could easily switch to headphones. Naturally, I'd like for the speakers to be muted whenever I'm using my headphones. This doesn't have to be automatic. I'd be perfectly fine with having a knob to turn to switch between speakers and headphones.
Is this possible for under $200? Thank you in advance.

I'm not going to give you a recommendation for what to buy, but I think a DAC would be a good way to go. I myself have an Aune X1 Pro, which does everything you're asking. Is that the right choice for you, probably not, but it's just an example. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are two buttons on the front. The top selects what your input source is (USB, optical, coax, line in), the bottom selects what your output would be (headphone with volume nob or line out). To be honest I've never connected anything to the line out (I only have headphones) so I can only assume that's how it's switching (it might leave the speakers powered all the time, not sure).

Again, I'm not sure how good of a pairing this DAC would be with your DT 990's. If I was you I'd head over to head-fi and see what they recommend DAC wise with those cans.

Back