Sound stuttering on Evga i680 - maddening!

PeteWalker74

Limp Gawd
The problem: When I'm playing a game, and/or listening to music while doing something else, I'll get a sound studder every so often. I don't know how else to describe it. Nothing else freezes or locks, just the sound. I'm using the onboard sound.

What I've tried: I have updated every driver to the latest version, and the bios as well. This is a clean installation of XP.

System specs are in my signature. Thank you very much!

Have you updated the BIOS? Though the new P21 BIOS is intended to fix sound issues with G80 SLi users, it's possible that it may help you too.

GAH! I checked two days ago, and that update wasn't there. I just noticed a P21 version is out, and yes I'll update and reboot later. I hope this fixed it, but I'll still feel like an idiot :mad:

I updated the bios, and I am still getting the same studder. So, I updated my Nforce drivers, using the latest beta on Nvidia's site, and still no luck. I just put this rig together, so it's very frustrating that I'm having this issue. I also noticed that it actually does cause some sort of performance problem, as I was moving my mouse across the screen and it studdered as well. It also studdered when doing simple things like maximizing and minimizing Windows. Hell, it studdered a few times just while I was typing this post! After it studdered, I just let it sit while I stared at the screen. The only things open were Aim, Winamp, MSN Messenger, Trend Micro 2007, and Firefox.

Someone, anyone, please help me.

I thought I'd add that I'm using a Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse (USB) and a Logitech USB headset as well, just in case by some crazy chance these devices have something to do with it.

Are you getting any errors in event manager that are hard disk, RAID, or SATA related?

There are quite a few people over in the eVGA forums complaining about "SATA issues."

In my experience, as a hard drive freaks out (or the controller), studdering can result.

Of course, I assume you've done a full, clean Windows XP install since you got the motherboard.

I am not sure if this will work for the onboard sound, but with the X-Fi stuttering problem, people (including me) have used PCI Latency Tool to drop the X-Fi's latency to ~92, and that seems to have fixed it. No idea if the onboard sound is on the PCI bus, so no idea if you can fiddle with it's latency.

Calefaction said:
I am not sure if this will work for the onboard sound, but with the X-Fi stuttering problem, people (including me) have used PCI Latency Tool to drop the X-Fi's latency to ~92, and that seems to have fixed it. No idea if the onboard sound is on the PCI bus, so no idea if you can fiddle with it's latency.

Don't really want to try anything if someone isn't even sure it'll work :) No offense, of course!

Hurin said:
Are you getting any errors in event manager that are hard disk, RAID, or SATA related?

There are quite a few people over in the eVGA forums complaining about "SATA issues."

In my experience, as a hard drive freaks out (or the controller), studdering can result.

Of course, I assume you've done a full, clean Windows XP install since you got the motherboard.

No errors at all in my Event Viewer, and yes I've done a clean install since I put this rig together.

peteyboy23 said:
Don't really want to try anything if someone isn't even sure it'll work :) No offense, of course!

Well, it DOES work for the Creative X-Fi, and to be quite frank, if you never try anything because it "might not work", you will never, ever, get the problem fixed. *shrugs* Your call, but if the problem is so annoying, I would think you would want to try what has worked for others, even if it's on a different sound device.

I've updated to the P21 BIOS, and the popping and crackling with the eVGA 680i's onboard sound is still there.

I haven't tried the X-Fi, and I probably won't. I have a video capture card taking up that space right now.

Calefaction said:
Well, it DOES work for the Creative X-Fi, and to be quite frank, if you never try anything because it "might not work", you will never, ever, get the problem fixed. *shrugs* Your call, but if the problem is so annoying, I would think you would want to try what has worked for others, even if it's on a different sound device.

To be equally as honest, I don't have that situation as I explained, and I also don't want to make the problem worse by trying things that even the person suggesting it doesn't have a high level of confidence in. Trial and error has its limits, my friend. For example, if I had a headache, and someone suggested I put a salad bowl on my head because it *might* work... should I?

Anyway, I figured out what the issue it. Amazing enough as it was to me, it was my anti-virus (Trend Micro 2007). After I disabled it, the studdering stopped. I'm going to have to figure out how to get around this, because I can't operate without AV.

I want to sincerely thank each and every one of you who responded to this post. You guys have a wonderful week, and a great weekend. I'm going to get back to enjoying my new PC, and cranking some tunes :) THANK YOU GUYS!!! :D

Get BitDefender. Best AV out there. Has a footprint just slightly larger than NOD32, but updates nearly as fast as Kapersky. It's sort of the "sweet spot" in AV software. I use it on all my machines and I love it. It never causes slow down, stuttering or anything else.

Back