Sound Quality: Receiver through PC

Lt.Col.Dehler

Limp Gawd
I recently hooked up my stereo receiver to my pc because I wanted some better speakers than some cheap $10 computer speakers before. So right now I have a Yamaha RC-30 receiver (probably late 80's or early 90's) hooked to my pc through the stock motherboard sound port, through 2 brand new 10 inch sony speakers, and some late 80s infinity speakers (with 3 speakers in each cab, which were all recently replaced).
Now the question is, Im getting some distortion I can really notice playing music, just sounds fuzzy. I recently cut and stripped the audio cable, so the connection to the speakers is good. Im wondering if its the quality of the cable itsself (I dont know what brand) or the receiver, or my sound quality from my motherboard.

Did you try turning the volume down on the PC? IF it's too hot it'll clip.

how are you connecting it? Optical, coax, headphonejack to rca's???? what options do you have to connect with???

how are you connecting it? Optical, coax, headphonejack to rca's???? what options do you have to connect with???

headphone to rca jack. thats all I have really. I do have a soundcard with a couple other inputs. but the card isnt working for me in windows 7.

Did you try turning the volume down on the PC? IF it's too hot it'll clip.

wow and sadly this was the problem! i feel stupid now

Last edited:
It's the shitty mobo sound quality. You need optical or hdmi out (depending on your receiver) and then you will be pleased with the receiver sound quality

its probably clipping as valve said.

Turn the volume down on the pc to ~50-66% and see if it still sounds bad.

that took away a LOT of the problem, I cant notice anything at resonable volumes (when people are home). But when I turn it up pretty loud it starts to get a little fuzzy.

Im going to hook up my dvd\cd player and see if theres any distortion, if there isnt I guess its my computer.

that took away a LOT of the problem, I cant notice anything at resonable volumes (when people are home). But when I turn it up pretty loud it starts to get a little fuzzy.

Im going to hook up my dvd\cd player and see if theres any distortion, if there isnt I guess its my computer.

I had the same problem with a friend. I loaned him my dads old (~15-20 yrs) Yamaha stereo receiver (loaned because its super awesome) to hook up a pair of floorstanding Sony's I had given him (I have way to much extra audio stuff :). He is using this setup in his bedroom to help him create beat's & background audio for vocals.

We had it connected from the headphone jack to RCA's in the rear and it was really fuzzy. We turned the volume down to 1 on his laptop and then cranked the receiver and we got some of the best sounding tunes I had ever heard from those speakers (I am now a little jealous :))

I would suggest turning your laptop down to like 1-5 and then cranking the receiver to its max. That's what we did and we couldn't even get the receiver turned all the way up before my friend told me to stop so we didn't get him in trouble.

Back