Sound options

WeeManFoo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
265
I currently have a pair of $10 earbuds hooked up to my computer. I am looking for a simple 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system that can run my computer and my xbox 360. I also want a 5.1 surrround sound headset for computer gaiming. What parts will I need? Also, is there a simple way to switch the audio from my speakers between my computer and my 360?
 
Not too sure about the other aspects but many of the audiophiles here are NOT fond of 5.1 headsets since they are sorta gimmicky and filled with a bunch of low cost drivers. I say gimicky because you won't see any of the higher-end headphone manufacturers making them ;). A good set of headphones + sound card is perfectly fine for 3D directional audio and won't make your music sound like crap. One of the best budget headphones are probably the Koss ksc-75, you'd probably have to spend greater than $50 to top them.

As for 2.0 or 2.1 speakers you may want to list a max price you're willing to spend. Otherwise check the hot deal forum because there is some klipsch or logitech 2.1 deal atm.

good luck either way.
 
Well I think I am going to get the Zalman 5.1 headset. I still don't know the best way to run sound to the headset or speakers from my pc at the without disconnecting and reconnecting wires. Also, I want an easy way to switch between my computer audio on the speakers to my 360. I know that 5.1 headsets are gimmicky but I want the best directional sound without the trouble of running wires through my apartment. I just need to know what steps I need to take to easily switch sound between the two outputs and the two inputs. My budget for the each piece (soundcard, headset, and speakers) is $100.
 
Not too sure about the other aspects but many of the audiophiles here are NOT fond of 5.1 headsets since they are sorta gimmicky and filled with a bunch of low cost drivers. I say gimicky because you won't see any of the higher-end headphone manufacturers making them ;). A good set of headphones + sound card is perfectly fine for 3D directional audio and won't make your music sound like crap. One of the best budget headphones are probably the Koss ksc-75, you'd probably have to spend greater than $50 to top them.

As for 2.0 or 2.1 speakers you may want to list a max price you're willing to spend. Otherwise check the hot deal forum because there is some klipsch or logitech 2.1 deal atm.

good luck either way.

Thats your opinion if you think there gimmicky. I dont see them as gimmicky. it just depends on the ones you use.

My current ones I can tell where every thing is easier then using normal headsets or when i had my XFI, CMS3d.

Thats why I perfer 5.1 headsets over normal headsets. All it matters for me that my headsets sound great on my sound card. Since it does sound better with it any way.

I used 5.1 headsets before these, I had a pair of kinkyos which i loved. But it depends on the person. People have diffent Ears just because you dont hear the diffents do not mean another person dont either. You get the idea. I never really liked Cms 3d headphone because I couldnt tell where what was coming from.

Rembmer people have diffent ears, then it depends on the pair of 5.1 headsets, there are some that are pretty bad, the LTB is pair that are bad like that. There all not bad, It might not live up to your standards but it live up to other people standards.

headsets couldnt tell either. I play better with 5.1 headsets then i do with 2 channel headsets. Theres people that hear better with normal headsets and then there those who hear better with 5.1 headsets. People ears are diffent.

And then Going you hear all around you better with normal headsets is also a opinion. Because that can be diffent for diffent people ears. Because I can hear all around me and where things coming from with my headsets , but I couldnt do it with normal headsets.

As for mine I use it for music all the time and my music dont sound crap.I just perfer music in 5.1 then 2 channel. And then I did start using DTS neo on my card to listen to the music.
 
Well, I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music and use some Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's.

They sound awesome with anything, and I get great directional sound with them.
 
The most important question is how do I run all the sources and outputs together without changing wires.
 
You can find a splitter, like a Y splitter and share the line out with the headset and the front speakers. or a 5.1 splitter. where each is plugged into its own plug while sharing the existing plugs. Some speakers have headset out on them.
 
See my new post about the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's on sale at Best Buy.

As for the 5.1 headset, I have one. I find them to be a royal pain in the ass. They are big, heavy, there's an additional box involved, and they have to be plugged into the wall.

On top of that they were expensive (around $125) and frankly the sound isn't that amazing.

I tire of them after about 10 min. I haven't connected them in almost a year.

Wasn't one of my better buys.
 
I think there was a pair of logitech 2.1 speakers that was good too. I dont remember there model.

as for headsets, if you worried just get some Sennisher HD555 or some Grados if i spelled it right. I dont know how much they cost and whos sells them.
 
IF you had some Logitech Z5500s You can plug your sound card to its analog and then the X360 to the Digital or Coaxil plugs and use the input button to go thru the modes.

Thats what i did when I had my Game cube in my room with my computer, I did that for my cable box also.
 
You need to tell us how much you are willing to pay for your setup. If you buy a HT receiver, you can easily switch over from anything by just pressing a button on the remote but you need to pay quite a high price.
 
I suggest going the HT route aswell. You can get great deals if you look around.
 
Back
Top