Sound noob needs help with HSA1/Asus Xonar DG issues

Bamboo

Gawd
Hi Guys, I know next to nothing about PC audio or Audio in general. I am a gamer. I could really use some help with the following sound issue on my new rig.

I am getting low volume out of my new set up. I have to crank the volume up on everything(headset/card/windows) setting to get remotely loud sound out of my headset. I also notice that my MP3s seem to lightly fade in and out on volume while I play them. In general, it sounds like shit compaired to my last audio setup(Logitec G35 USB headset). I would have just got that headset again but it was too heavy for the amount of hours I game(I'm retired).

My best guess is that the card is not enough to power these headphones correctly.

Rig and settings:

Windows 7 64bit
Corsiar HS1A Headset
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe (Bios 0603)
i7 2600k @ 4.7
EVGA GTX 460
8 gigs Corsair @ 1600
realtek ALC889 8-Channel HD Audio codec(Disabled in bios and drivers not installed)

Asus Xonar DG
Audio Driver Version 7.12.8.1794
GX 1.0.10.917
DSP info 1.1.3

Xonar Settings:
Audio Channel - 6 Channels(2 sounds horrible)
DSP Mode - Dolby Headphone DH2 (Gives most Volume/sounds best)
Sample Rate - PCM 44.1 KHz
Analog Out - Headphone Pro gaming Mode or for 32~64ohms Headsets
Hi-Fi - Off
GX - Off
EQ - Set to soft rock(seems to sound best. Way better than generic)
Every thing else on default.

In control panel I set output to match at 16bit 44.1Khz or 44100 Hz
The Asus Xonar is only active sound output device.
Volume in 100% on everything everywhere.

I'm just not happy with my sound. It's kinda low, unpowerful and generally crappy. It does sound better than the onboard sound(realtek ALC889 8-Channel HD Audio) it just still sounds bad IMO.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.:D

P.S. I do use vent when I game if that matters. The Mic seems to work fine.

Edit: I'm using the Corsair HS1A Headset....oh brother lol

Last edited:
Well first you have to set your card to 2ch I would think. That's the way it's on the x-fi side out of the house.

Second the DG is known actually for being a very clean sounding card so you need to check another headset to make sure your headset isn't a dud.

If a second headset also sounds like crap the headphone amp on your DG may be blown out and you may need to RMA your card with Asus.

Thanks OFaceSIG.

Testing now.

Edit Update:Yep still sounds bad and fading in and out with cheap backup headset. Gonna test against onboard card again for volume levels and fading in/out.

Last edited:
OMG yeah it's broken.

I about blew my head off at the same settings with onboard soundcard lol.

Thanks man!

NP... Anything I can do to keep sound cards alive. Gotta keep the community going! Onboard BLOWS!

NP... Anything I can do to keep sound cards alive. Gotta keep the community going! Onboard BLOWS!

Yeah, dedicated cards are better but the ALC889 is specced for 104dB in / 108dB out so it's one of the best onboard currently out there. He shouldn't 'suffer' too much while waiting for a replacement.

Back