• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

sound from the 2405fpw

Xeero

Gawd
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
958
you guys know the sound that a regular tube tv makes when u turn it on? you kno the very high pitched but subtle whiney sound? well do you guys get that from your 2405fpw? try putting your ear next to the fpw and listen. Preferably in a quiet environment where outside noise and the spinning of fans do no drown out the noise. Then, turn off your monitor and see if the sound goes away, and turn it back on after to see if the sound comes back. If you guys do experience this, is there a way to fix it? or is it just my monitor?
 
This is a well-known issue, and from what I've gathered from the huge 2405 thread, it seems to be a result of heat. I'm thinking of rigging a small fan to blow into it to deal with the heat (although the whine isn't that bad). Anyone else try this?

If it really bothers you, send it back. I don't notice mine whining, but I have a fan going in my room, as well as music playing all the time.
 
hm... but if its an issue in all the 2405's then if i get a replacement, wouldn't the samething happen?
 
My computer fans are louder than the whine in my 2405, so I never really notice it.
 
I notice it when I dont have any sound coming from the tv or playing music. I can see how it can get annoying but it's not that big of a deal to me.
 
I've only had my this little baby for 3 days, but I haven't noticed any noise coming out the back of my 2405fpw at all. Only thing I hear is my hard drive clickin'...
 
I have the whine, which sucks because my monitor is perfect otherwise.

I called dell, or rather used the online chat option to get approval for a monitor exchange.

They are susposed to ship me a new 2405 to replace the one I got.

I've had the whine since I got the monitor, which only occurs with VGA or DVI inputs being used. When I use the monitor with component video in, there is no noise.

My co-worker got a 2405 monitor this week and he has no noise at all on his monitor.
 
No noise with mine, ok there is a noise. It's the backlight. But the ONLY way to hear it is to place you're ear up against the rear vent, and strain your ears. All electronics and light sources make noise. But this isnt something you can hear from 3" away.

The "whine" people describe I do not have. The panels perfect

And ive had my room at 96F+ for 6 hours before with no added heat related noise
 
I as well.......

have no idea what you guys are talking about.

*puts ear against monitor*.... nope sorry.
 
hm... so some people have the whine and some people don't?

well should i bother trying to get a replacement? or do you guys think i will end up with another one that has the same problem?
 
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the people who don't hear it either have bad hearing, a noisy computer, or a combination of both. And I think you'd be surprised how loud most people's comps are (and how much they don't care or how used to it they've gotten).
 
Well, it's not like some crazy excuse you know. I know my hearing is pretty good. It's possible there is some sort of noise. I think if you were to use mine as a sample, well if you're comp makes any noise whatsoever it will be louder rendering this unhearable.

edit: Ok, if I smash my ear against the thing, there seems to be something. Like said I guess thats electronic equipement for you. If my comp was dead silent I still can't see you hearing mine. These threads end up unnecessarily scaring people. I'll remember you were right next time my ear is smashed up against my monitor like it's a set of headphones. The back vents no less. ;)
 
FitzRoy said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the people who don't hear it either have bad hearing, a noisy computer, or a combination of both. And I think you'd be surprised how loud most people's comps are (and how much they don't care or how used to it they've gotten).


I have exceptional hearing. I can hear flourescant lights. I can hear those electronic mosquito repellers quite loudly. My last hearing exam quoted me at hearing almost the full spectrum. Not all 2405fpw's Whine. It's a Defect if it does.

I'm almost 100 percent certain that most ppl are just being perfectionist and complaining about every little thing. I've never liked LCD's before because of their ghosting/lag/contrast. This monitor squashed all of those issues and was fairly cheap when compared to other displays. When i first turned it on and ran a dead pixel test I saw 2 dead pixels, Later I saw 2 more. Did it bother me? No because they're hard to see. The pixels are so small that i have to search for them hard to find them. I went 5 days thinking I had dead pixels and not caring. Later I discovered they were just DUST. My monitors perfect.

The only thing that woulduve gotten me to consider sending back the monitor was a cluster a stuck pixels(IE green or some other color)
 
You guys can be certain all you want, but I don't have any noise on my 2405fpw either. No backlight bleeding, no dead pixels, no noise. Just a huge, beautiful LCD sitting in front of me that rOxOrs. Sorry to all who might have problems with theirs, I guess I just got lucky :D
 
so i guess the issue at hand is... does the sound bother me enough for me to call for a replacement? well the sound doesn't bother me at all, however, if we paid this much for a monitor shouldn't it be ok to demand for perfection?
 
Not when what we are talking about is a characteristic of an electronic device. Dude, I can't hear it AT ALL from the front. Ear right up to it. The toroidal coils on your mobo probably whine at least a little. Put your ear up against the wall and you can probably hear what sounds like soemthing, I dunno... air moving. Something. Defective walls? What is perfection next, expensive metering equipment silence?

I think if there is anything funny or to complain about, is that most people just want to know if a perfect one is possible. I guess I had to get two, not kosher, but 'tis all. If you were to tell me the "sound" coming from my monitor is annoying or even audible, I'd have to wonder if you were a K9 in a past life. I don't know if the person that suggested we just can't all hear it over our comps actually has one or what. Not the case with mine. I *think*(wall example) I hear something if I smash my ear up to the *back* of my monitor.

Just get a new one already.
 
Back
Top