Sound Deadening Material -> Dynamat?

I was wondering if this would be a good idea to use as a sound deadening material for inside of my new tower. It is usually used in Car's to get rid of road noise, so I thought it might be quite possible to use it in a tower.
Anyone got any other ideas?

Yes you can use dynamat in a case. Ive done it with mine, but it really just added weight to it, but whatever. If you have rattles, it will really help get rid of them.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, Is there another item I could use that would make less weight? It isnt much of an issue really, but if there is a another option out there I would like to hear it.

dynamat works pretty well .

just get the stuff with the foil backing on the outerside it tends to not smell as bad

:D

Here is another option:

Truck Bed Liner

I used auto body undercoating for my motherboard tray, and side panels, then put Pax-Mate on the side panels as well. It definately made a difference. It also has the benefit of being able to be applied to odd shapes (drive cages and the like) whouout leaving a stickey side where there is a hole in the metal.

-edit- The autobody undercoating might be better. It is more like a liquid Dynamat, and yes it does smell. I had to leav my panels cure outside and in the shop for a few days before using them.

I'm using PaxMate for my case. It won't fit on the sides, but I've cut pieces for the floor and ceiling of my Antec P160. FrozenCPU carries it.

Paxmate did almost nothing for sound dampening for me. A long time ago, I bought some 1 inch thick sonex foam and lined a Antex SX1000 or chenming case and that actually had some effect, but as far as quiet computing goes, the best way is to quiet the noise sources first, then accoustical foam for the marginal improvements.

Dynamat and the like deaden sound by lowering the resonance of panels in a car, where most noise is induced by vibration. Also, Dynmat is most effective when used under carpet/felt or door panels etc.

For deadening inside a computer case, where most noise is direct, you should be looking at direct sound absorbtion and diffraction. Things like egg-crate foam, felt, fleece, cotton balls, fiberfill etc. The goal is to have lots of tiny fibers that can convert energy in the form of sound waves into energy in the form of heat, which happens when a sound wave hits one of these materials and the pressure of it moves the fiber (very small amounts). The amount of heat generated isn't perceptible without instruments, but that's how the physics work. The more you can stop sound from bouncing around in the case, the more it will help. For fan noises, which are relatively high-frequency, you should be looking for the softest, thinnest threads. Watch out for Fiberglass(insulation) though, the fibers can be spread around into the air by the fans, and will do not so good things to your lungs.

Dynamat is too expenisve. There are eleventybillion other products that do the exact same thing and perform just as well or better than dynamat for alot cheaper.

secondskinaudio.com
brown bread
bquiet
edesignaudio.com's material

... just to name a few

and at your local home depot there is something called "peel n seal", which is essentally the same thing as all of the others (tar+glue+backing) but this is alot cheaper and a shitty glue. Take your chances with placing this on vertically or upside down.

DeuceTrinal said:
Dynamat and the like deaden sound by lowering the resonance of panels in a car, where most noise is induced by vibration. Also, Dynmat is most effective when used under carpet/felt or door panels etc.

For deadening inside a computer case, where most noise is direct, you should be looking at direct sound absorbtion and diffraction. Things like egg-crate foam, felt, fleece, cotton balls, fiberfill etc. The goal is to have lots of tiny fibers that can convert energy in the form of sound waves into energy in the form of heat, which happens when a sound wave hits one of these materials and the pressure of it moves the fiber (very small amounts). The amount of heat generated isn't perceptible without instruments, but that's how the physics work. The more you can stop sound from bouncing around in the case, the more it will help. For fan noises, which are relatively high-frequency, you should be looking for the softest, thinnest threads. Watch out for Fiberglass(insulation) though, the fibers can be spread around into the air by the fans, and will do not so good things to your lungs.

according to this post, secondskinaudio.com has a product that should work well... rattlepad.

The thing is I can get dynamat and brown bread at cost. But that foamby mail seems like a good choice.

Back