Sound dampening help

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
I need some help from the [H]ard here...

im a sophomore in high school, and as a requirement of my bio class, i need to create a science fair experiment. my experiment is going to be about which type of sound dampening material is most effective while also maintaining a low case temp.

i know that there are a lot of little business that [H]ard members run or work for that deal w/ computer modding and such, and i was wondering if they could help me out w/ this (mashie ;) come on... you know you wanna :p ). im in need of a sponsorship or two in order to get the sound material (because, being a high school student, im not very wealthy...). i need at least 3 different types of sound dampening material.

so if theres anybody here who would want to help out another member and sponsor my science fair project, please let me know either via PM, IM (AIM: TSS Modder), or email: andywaplinger AT gmail DOT com.

and, of course, credit will definately be given where credit is due. heck, a nice big logo or something would be great to fill up empty board space :p

For a second there, I was worried you were going to ask for donations of systems to install sound dampening foam in
smile.gif

thanks for the info and the bump! :)

ill take a look into SPCR.

as for how much...?? at least the side panel of my Lian Li PC-7B+ and preferably the bottom also. i have no idea how many square feet thatd be...

OMG :eek: it is Andy!!!! Long time man, long time, help him out, really cool kid, he has like 4.6GPA right now taking all honors classes, watch out Yale :D

ah so he IS the class nerd :p

j/k :)

googling "sound dampening foam" brings many results

http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUR2WD01CG

http://www.mcmaster.com/ item 9216T2, you'll need to search for it

review of this stuff
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=982

there's also a London based company that sells a product called mutemat
http://www.mutemat.co.uk/index.php

shipping will be a factor though and the exchange rate is horrible

an SPCR review page with cases and dampening

http://www.silentpcreview.com/section11.html

Ive used rubberized asphault on some parts of my case. It really helps cut down on rattlings and vibrations caused by jet-engine 52x cdrom drives, subwoofers, wobbly tables etc. But beware, its some damn heavy stuff and costs around $25.00 for 6 14x14" sheets at car-parts stores.

im aware of where to get sound dampening material. the issue is that i cant afford to buy 3 different types of sound dampening material, so im looking around the [H]ard to see if anybody here would be interested in sponsoring my project.

please...?? :( ;)

dude get creative. i dunno, why not go down to a carpet/flooring shop, and snag free sample pieces or carpet or something. im sure that would dampen the sound (though it will get a little hotter). i dont think some1 is gonna buy that stuff for u. not to be an asshole, but it a little bit seems like your trying to get some free expensive sound dampening matiarials just for your own personal use.

br creative like the other guy siad.. i curretly just ripped out carpet and installed wood floors, im gonna use the wood floor padding to mount stuff on (like 1/8 in thik) and the carpet padding for dappening, might wanna give that a try.

TSS Modder said:
yea, ill post my results as soon as i can get somebody to get me some materials ;)
Andy you did not even say: "Hi Russian", so dissapointing and I was gonna sponsor you..... :mad:

TSS Modder said:
im aware of where to get sound dampening material. the issue is that i cant afford to buy 3 different types of sound dampening material, so im looking around the [H]ard to see if anybody here would be interested in sponsoring my project.

please...?? :( ;)

I could probably mail you a bunch of my extra sound deadening material, but I might end up using it in my diesel volkswagon.

hey Russian :p

Audiochris said:
what does sound dampening have to do with biology?
entering the science fair is a requirement in my honors bio course. yea... ghey... i know... :rolleyes:

x_dreamer said:
dude get creative. i dunno, why not go down to a carpet/flooring shop, and snag free sample pieces or carpet or something. im sure that would dampen the sound (though it will get a little hotter). i dont think some1 is gonna buy that stuff for u. not to be an asshole, but it a little bit seems like your trying to get some free expensive sound dampening matiarials just for your own personal use.
chances are thats what im gonna end up doing. i was planning on using cardboard as one, possibly styrofoam, and carpet might not be a bad idea...

somebody was nice enough to send me some dynamat (thanks Destos!) free of charge :D

bob said:
I could probably mail you a bunch of my extra sound deadening material, but I might end up using it in my diesel volkswagon.
if you have any left over (preferably at least a 10x16" piece) please let me know! :)

Back