• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Cards affect performance?

JFlo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
195
I was woundering if sound cards can affect your computers preformance. ATM i am using on board 7.1 channel audio. I was woundering if i would see any performance increase if i got a sound card. Or will a sound card only help for well better sound?
 
Assuming we are talking about a Creative sound card.....
Yes but the improved sound overshadows the FPS improvements. :)
 
Yes definitely. There are a couple main ways I think this happens. First of all, drivers. Different drivers are going to be more/less efficient in CPU use. Even if you are using the same device, performance can change going from one drive to another. Then, how the sound card actually works. Some sound devices rely on your CPU to do all of the calculations. Others use their own hardware to do it. If I remember correctly, devices like the Audigy, onboard like nVidia SoundStorm, and a few others use actual hardware chips to work with your sound. A lot of common onboard devices just use software and your CPU to do this? (Mister-X might have to clarify on what I'm saying..)
 
yeah, getting a dedicated sound card with help in gaming. it frees up cpu cycles used by onboard sound devices.
 
Okay in that case i think i need a sound card. for the new gaming system i am building, Can anyone suggest one? I dont wanna spend to much on it cause im already 200$ over budget lol.
 
Moofasa~ said:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=290236

The cheapest X-Fi IMO is worth more than the price difference over the A2 Value. It's cheaper in other places too, I think it's like $95-$100 at Best Buy. I know it might seem a tad steep, but it will be worth it in the end.
Concur. Especially if you use headphones - the 'surround' feeling in games with headphones is WAY better than the Audigy.
 
I concur...And as a plus, the platinum front bezel matches my computer case... :)
Can't really go wrong with the X-Fi in any form.
 
If you're more worried about 'performance' than audio quality, then get an a2 and a better video card - you'll get a bigger increase in fps per $ spent that way. The X-Fi does give you great surround especially with headphones, so it depends if that is worth anything to you.

 
Back
Top