sound card w/ vista

acee

Gawd
Hi, I just recently got a copy of vista business and installed it on my PC but the thing is.. vista only installs and uses the already installed soundcard which is SoundMax. While I have an external sound card "Soundblaster". I tried installing the soundblaster with the cd and such but it won't change the soundmax. So right now im using the crappy already installed sound card on the MB while I want the soundblaster instead for better sounding. Any help will be great. I do want to keep using vista but if theres no solution to changing to the sound card I want, I have no choice to switch back to XP

Thanks

Creative is having some real issues getting their drivers to work under Vista, and until they get that sorted out, you'll be using on-board sound with Vista.

Unless you have an X-Fi, Creative's drivers work just fine for the basics. I don't have an X-Fi, so I don't know where the progress stands there with the newer drivers. The very first thing I would do is choose a soundcard and stick with it. It can be troublesome to run two cards at the same time, so if you aren't going to use the Creative card, pull it from the system for now. If you are going to use it, disable the onboard.

I suppose I should have been a little more thorough with my answer. I have a Creative Live series card and I have been able to use it under Vista, but the sound quality (music, movies, tv etc) is horrible, so much so that I have pulled it and am using my on board sound for now. I have was assuming that it was a driver issue, but I suppose it may be my configuration, as it worked perfectly with XP...

well after some use of vista i plan to convert it back to XP.. theres serveral things that vista made that is far worst than XP.. sound card including. So, I'm switching back to XP pro and hopefully wait for microsoft to fix some bugs and etc maybe in a couple of months.. I mean vista HAS been only been out for 1 and half months :rolleyes:

There does seem to be some middle ground with their drivers. The Live cards and older don't seem to work very well, if at all. I thought I read they wouldn't be supported going forward either. Then at the other end, it seems the newest, most expensive cards are having issues as well. I have an Audigy 2 ZS and it seems to work fine, even with surround sound. I'll be building my wife's new box this weekend with her Audigy Gamer, and we'll see how that goes.

Interestingly, my laptop's sound worked right away without drivers under Vista. However, the same is not true under XP Pro for my X-Fi... But then again, my desktop isn't getting Vista until most of this complaining (justified and not) stops. AKA Service Pack 1 :)

Creative posted a lot of final revision drivers for Vista yesterday for many devices they only had beta drivers for previously.

Back