Sound card recommendations

jflail2

Gawd
I have been experiencing continued problems in CS:S. Specifically I get a "sound loop" where CS slows down to a crawl and I hear the same sound over and over. I recently purchased a new video card and reformatted before I installed it (I was overdue anyway.)

I thought this would take care of my problems, but the 1st time I fired up CS after the clean install I got the same "sound loop."

Sooooo, I have concluded it must be due to some conflict between my onboard sound and CS. Therefore I have decided to pick up a new sound card. I don't want anything top of the line/ too fancy, just a good reliable sound card.

Anyone have any recommendations based on the problem above and the system specs below??? (including possible solutions for the sound loop if I am overlooking something basic....)

ASUS k8vse
AMD 64 3200
x800xl (agp)
1 GB pc 3200
onboard sound
windows xp home

Thanks.

That was a known issue with the source engine: http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

There was supposed to be a patch in the works early this year, but I have not heard anything since. I kind of assumed it was fixed via a steam patch / upate some time ago given it was supposedly in beta in feb 06, but who knows.

Chaintech AV-710 is the cheapest 7.1 card out there. it's an envy24 chip, and has optical out (if that's your bag)

zv

zero_vertical said:
Chaintech AV-710 is the cheapest 7.1 card out there. it's an envy24 chip, and has optical out (if that's your bag)

zv

the the 710 comprable to the audigy series in hardware processing?

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see no creative recommendations. Are the 2 recommendations above comprable as far as quality and features go??

Thanks FreiDOg. Now I'm really perturbed. I don't use my pc for anything besides work, fantasy football and CS, so I'm not going to be happy if I can't play CS anymore.

Back