Sound Card necessary for Intel 925x?

WickedWeasel

Limp Gawd
Is a sound card needed for the intel 925x mobo?

It is suppose to have some kind of built in sound card already

I was wondering if it is necessary to get a sound card like audigy to play games like Doom 3

can the 925x handle 4 speaker outputs?

WickedWeasel said:
Is a sound card needed for the intel 925x mobo?
No, it's not needed.
It is suppose to have some kind of built in sound card already
Yes, most if not all i925X based motherboards take advantage of the onboard audio.
I was wondering if it is necessary to get a sound card like audigy to play games like Doom 3
No, it's not necessary at all. Your onboard sound will do the job fine for most uses.
can the 925x handle 4 speaker outputs?
Yes. Actually, it can handle up to 8 discrete outputs, including one dedicated subwoofer output.

Has anyone done a sound quality comparison between Intel's HDA and any add-in sound cards? I think that this would be interesting information. The specs for HDA certainly sound nice, but the implementation might not be.

Mr Pez, thanks =]

EDIT: That review makes it sound pretty shoddy, but once again, it's because the OEM's use shitty codecs, which was what I figured would happen all along. I would be happy to spend an extra 30-50$ on a motherboard, if I KNEW that it was going to have very high quality sound. You'd think that they would have such an option, just like you can get a mobo with/without RAID or integrated graphics.

it does appear as though its a maturation thing, once the codecs and the software side of things get sorted then HDA will be a winner, the hardware spec is pretty sweet.

now, if only Intel had a processor that beat the AMD64fx53 for games, id be willing to put money on a 925x mobo today!

pez

Frankly, I doubt that it'll mature in any reasonable amount of time. The average consumer doesn't have gear that is decent, let alone really even care about sound quality, as long as they produce sound. I had my g/f listen to my Reference 2's [2500$ MSRP] and she said that she couldn't tell the difference between that and her car stereo :rolleyes: [luckily, she did see the light after we drove around listening to the same CD later that night, otherwise we might have had to break up =]

Point is, manufacturers will most likely stay the course and keep producing crap integrated sound, as it'll save them a few bucks. The average consumer won't know or care anyways, and at best, a more discerning consumer will look at HDA specs and say, 'wow, 32bit/192Khz, it must be better!'

Back