• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Card for 360/PS3/PC?

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
6,224
I currently use Denon D2000's with the Astro AMP for all my sound and would like to upgrade.

I need something to run my consoles and PC sound with, I have read about people doing this but am looking for some insight from the pros. I would like the sound card to be good at everything.

I was looking at these specifically

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Champion PCI-E 1X 24BIT Sound Card 7.1 Optical

HT Omega Claro Plus + 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT DTS Dolby Digital Live S/PDIF IN/OUT Coaxial
 
Last edited:
For multiple devices, wouldn't you be better off with a receiver than a sound card? Why route all sound into your PC?
 
An xBox and PS3 process their own audio. The most a PC/soundcard can accomplish is to not degrade the audio. As noted above, your best bet is an AVR. But it mostly boils down to space and how everything is used.
 
I don't really have room for a receiver (I could make room for much better audio), nor want the extra heat. I was looking at sound cards since I would only have to plug in my console optical cords into it w/o taking up space and I would end up with better PC audio.
 
Last edited:
keep the mixamp, it's pretty much ideal for console gaming.

get a titanium HD or an auzentech forte for your pc, use these settings and enjoy your new wallhack :D
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=239405

champion card is not worth it, fatal1ty - fatal1ty champion - regular titanium all 3 sound pretty much the same, only forte and titanium HD sport premium quality DACs and intergrated headphone amplification circuits.

I own the champion version just because the front panel looks cool and I happened have some extra cash at the time, don't buy into their mumbo jumbo marketing ;-)
 
Watch the ports. Most sound cards have multiple ports...for output. The typical inputs are only Line In and Mic. Very few cards have optical in, much less two optical inputs.
 
Instead of making a new thread I figured I would resurrect this one. It seems most people do not recommend using sound cards with Denon D2000's. I do not want to buy new headphones since my main issue lies with the Astro Amp.

When plugged directly into my PC the audio is fine, but not loud enough even @100% for some movies & games.

So, like Krispy suggested, an AVR is my best bet. I don't know where to start, I don't need a reviver with a ton of inputs, I just want something with good audio quality for <500$ which I could hook up speakers to in the future. Any suggestions? I will also be researching.
 
Last edited:
So far I've narrowed it done to these:

Onkyo TX-NR609 530$ (conflicting reviews between home theatre & Cnet)
Onkyo TX-NR414 380$ (conflicting reviews between home theatre & Cnet)
Denon AVR-1612 310$
Denon AVR-1613 400$ I will probably get this one
Pioneer Elite VSX-42 (not available in Canada & it's my favourite looking one too)

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-vsx-42-av-receiver

Many of the receivers cost 200$ more in Canada which is really annoying. I love the fact that Cnet's top pick is only given a 7/10 for Sound Quality

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-av-receivers/

Denon 1913 looks nice but it costs 650$ in Canada vs 450$ in the states.

I just want something with good audio quality & aesthetics.
 
Last edited:
You would very likely be more than happy with any of those models, or any of a dozen lesser models.

The main thing to watch are the number and type of inputs needed. Overall, I wouldn't suspect sound quality to be a major issue with headphones. The ratings you typically see for "sound quality" are taken on the speaker outputs (showing the amp quality).
 
Yeah, I just want 2-3x optical & 1x coaxial which the cheaper models don't have, and it seems that unless I spend at least double the slightly more expensive models only offer a bunch of things I will never use rather than performance. The Fiio E17 also seems to be a popular solution along with the schiit asgard, but it's too ugly. I wanted a reviver to sit under my vesa mounted display.

In the future I will have speakers.
 
Back
Top