• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound card advice

RumpRoast

Gawd
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
633
Been itchin for a sound card for sometime now and want to try a few models without breaking the bank. I'm mainly using it for gaming with my RX700 headphones, watch movies and listen to music but more emphasis on gaming. I'm looking for a well rounded card that can do most of these things well without being more focused on gaming or music (xtrememusic / xtremegamer) I've narrowed it down to 4 choices:

HT Omega Stryker
Auzentch X-plosion
X-fi Xtremegamer fatality pro (I added this since I do more gaming than anything)
Asus Xonar DX

I'm buying one of those here on the forums and out of a bunch of offers that I received I chose these 3 due to the reviews from numerous sites. Thanks for any input, suggestions and advice. BTW, these cards were under $50 so any other recommendations are welcomed as well.
 
Last edited:
Just curious but why exclude the Forte?

I'm looking for the same, and from reading and reading, I think I'm deciding on the Auzentech Forte for the following reasons:

X-Fi, but better quality than Creative
Headphone amp
Replaceable opamp
PCI-E
 
I wanted to try something other than onboard without breaking the bank and wanted to keep it under $50. I ended up getting the Xonar DX based on several recommendation for the $50 and under price point
 
Anything other than onboard is a start in the right direction. Congrats on making a good step :)
 
Anything other than onboard is a start in the right direction. Congrats on making a good step :)

All depends on which route you are taking.
If you end up going with digital signals out then the sound card will not matter.
For the OP it sounds like he is not headed in that direction and sounds like he is looking for a sound card to plug his headphones into, might notice a difference.
 
^ You're right. I'm just looking for better sound to use with my current equipment. I have an old school JBL Platinum speakers that came with an old Compaq pc from 10 years ago. I'm going to upgrade them to the M-Audio AV40 or the Swans sometime next month and heard that the Xonar drives them pretty well.

DoMaDo,

The Xonar is PCI-E and according to the user manual has a headphone amp built in. I did not see this mentioned in any of the reviews that I've seen but would be cool if this was true. Only thing that it does not have is the replaceable op-amps but read that you can replace them but will void your warranty and possibly jack up your card so I won't be doing that.
 
Back
Top