Sound Bottleneck?

madrix

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
143
I was just wondering, I am switching from realtek 97 to an x-fi card (should arrive soon I hope). I am using altec lansing vs2321 speakers, I love them to death! price performance is awesome. I was just wondering if they are going to be the limiting factor for my new x-fi card and if so, by how much? does anyone have these speakers? is it worth going out to buy klipsch promedia 2.1's ? Thanks
 
Try them out with the x-fi. Better speakers will sound better. THat is not to say your current speakers will sound bad.
 
Thanks for the quick response, sounding better is great news to me :D would hate to spend money on a quality card and see no increase. Just wondering how much if any would they hold me back, if you know.
 
Thanks for the quick response, sounding better is great news to me :D would hate to spend money on a quality card and see no increase. Just wondering how much if any would they hold me back, if you know.

I'm one of those "audiophile" wackos. But, if you're willing to spend some time, you cannot beat these for raw pwnage-for-the-dollar.

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker13.html

Parts should cost under $100/pr.

Alternately, get a pair of old Realistic Minimus 7ws (about $40 shipped on eBay for a pair in good condition) and a T-amp ($25).. These are classic studio monitors, and sound very good when they're not blown out, which does occasionally happen - however, for $40, you can get a pair in good condition, and maybe a pair of the spiffy walnut-cased 7w's.

If that's not enough bass for you, you can add a small powered subwoofer, too - keep an eye out on eBay. The 7W's are not bass monsters, but the quality is excellent.
 
I am switching from realtek 97 to an x-fi card .
I was just wondering if they(speakers) are going to be the limiting factor for my new x-fi card and if so, by how much?

Yea, they(speakers) will pretty much be your limiting factor until you start getting into 1000$ speakers or 200$ headphones (in which case the card starts to show it's limits).

Instead of getting a marginal sound quality increase by going with another speaker setup, how about getting a nice pair of headphones? 140$ can get you a sweet pair.
darth.gif
 
Yea, they(speakers) will pretty much be your limiting factor until you start getting into 1000$ speakers or 200$ headphones (in which case the card starts to show it's limits).

Instead of getting a marginal sound quality increase by going with another speaker setup, how about getting a nice pair of headphones? 140$ can get you a sweet pair.
darth.gif

Or build the suckers yourself. $800 speakers often have $100 worth of parts in 'em.
 
Back
Top