Sound Blaster Z and Windows 10

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
I really hate the fact that if I do a new install of Windows 10 I have to fight with Windows to have the correct driver for my Sound Blaster Z. Windows insists on installing the wrong driver after I installed the correct one. Windows tries over and over to install the audio controller as a SB Recon3D, which it is not. I have to trick Windows by letting the driver stay on the system then install the correct driver. If I totally delete the Windows driver it just reinstalls it again and the headache starts all over. Anyone else have this problem and come up with another way to deal with it??

The Recon3d and Z share the exact same chip....

So while I totally understand your frustration, it kinda makes sense W10 is making that assumption.

It seems I’ve tricked Windows into thinking I still have it installed. I just uninstalled their driver but didn’t delete it. I left it on the hard drive so Windows update doesn’t think I got rid of it. Anyway all is good now, been 72 hours and Windows hasn’t screwed with me

If everyone like you would just let Windows install the driver it wants and then sue Microsoft for forcing a broken driver on your system, world would become a better place.

I hate that it resets all of you Soundblaster sound settings after major updates.
Did the 1803 on my gaming machine and went to play a game and it sounded really strange. It defaults to 5.1 surround, I have 2.1.

I've never had this issue. As far as I know both the registry key and group policy still work as of 1709.

upload_2018-5-11_7-38-10.png

Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Update
upload_2018-5-11_7-39-18.png

I'm on W10 Pro, so I just have both options in place. I've never had Windows install a driver for me even with the feature updates.

I have the don't update drivers registry entry...that works for normal updates that want to update a driver, but not the big updates like 1803. The info I posted above does get you fixed back up quickly though.

I hate that it resets all of you Soundblaster sound settings after major updates.
Did the 1803 on my gaming machine and went to play a game and it sounded really strange. It defaults to 5.1 surround, I have 2.1.

Mine did the same thing. Glad to know it isn't just me.

Back