• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - your thoughts?

Medion

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2012
Messages
1,584
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-SB08...5KDK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1337798601&sr=8-3

Doesn't seem to be available at Newegg and it lists near $100 at Amazon. I ask because our base exchange has three boxes left and I saw them marked down to $39.70. They also don't charge any kind of tax. And is the "newer" Recon3D that Amazon claims replaced this any better? Looks more sparse to me, and I've heard more bad than good.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
for $39.70 yeah it's worth it. the recon3d is an upgrade primarily due to the headphone amplifier, so it depends on what you are using it for. if you are using it for speakers, it would be a fine upgrade from onboard.
 
I'm actually considering buying them out and selling through Amazon. I'd rather get an Asus Xonar type if I do go with a discrete sound card. Couldn't stand Creatives drivers on my Live or X-Fi. I actually ditched the X-Fi in favor of my onboard and was happier with the slight reduction in sound quality in favor of the huge improvement in system stability. Haven't had a BSOD since and that was 4 years ago.
 
You could resell them on Amazon, sure. Not particularly sure what the market is for that card, but I've no doubt that if the amazon price is 90+ you should be able to get $65-70 a card at least.
 
Crackle Crackle. I have a PCI-express version with a 990FX mobo and it crackles in Entertainment and Gaming mode... trust me I've tried everyhing to correct the issue.
 
What would you primarily be using it for? Music? Gaming?

From the review that [H] did on the Recon3d, it appears that its only strength is gaming and doesn't do too well when playing music (Pretty much comparable to on-board audio).

On the Titanium, some people have issues, some don't. Use Daniel_k's drivers for them if you do decide to purchase.
 
The Titanium is better in every possible way.

One thing worth noting is that Windows 8 will bring with it the return of Hardware Accelerated Audio. The X-Fi supports Hardware Accelerated Audio via the old EAX/Directsound paradigm. Without knowing more about how exactly Hardware Accelerated Audio will work in Windows 8, it's impossible to know if we will ever be able to take advantage of the Hardware Accelerated Audio on that card once again. The hardware (X-Ram, etc) is still there on the card though, just waiting to be taken advantage of. The Recon3D on the other hand omits everything and anything that would have enabled acceleration of audio in hardware.
 
Went through with it. I went into the store and had an associate look in the back for more. All they had were three boxed X-Fi Titaniums. I paid $39.97 each, so $119.91 total (no sales tax). I listed them on Amazon for $99.99 each, then chose FBA (fulfillment by Amazon). I used their UPS discount and mailed it off to them for only $4.63 (using the box and packing materials my Dayton speakers came in). It took several days (did this over the holiday weekend) to get there. Once they received it and listed it in stock, all three sold within twelve hours! After Amazon took their cut, I got $265.89. Subtract my FBA shipping charge above, and I netted $261.26 total, or a profit of $141.35. I was actually kind of pissed. After the first sold I wanted to jack the price to $124.99, but the other two sold as I was trying to do it.
 
Back
Top