Sound Blaster Live!

DolphinAMD

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
357
Is it me or is the Creative Audigy 4 and X-Fi (Xtreme Gamer, etc) worse sounding than a Sound Blaster Live! Value in 2.1 audio / music mode? I can't seem to find a sound card that offers the same quality.
 
i never updated my sound blaster live till i was forced to because of vista.

i really wish there were other good options for sound cards other then creative.
 
heh, i used onboard sound, realtec ac97 or whatever for years, only recently got a audigy 2 zs to try and fix a Voip issue in battlefield 2. I notice no sound quality diference between the audigy and my onboard sound, and my voip still doesnt work right.

do you have super human ears that can tell the diff between audio cards? or do you do sound editing or something? i can tell no diference between them, except people report that my mic output is louder with the card as opposed to onboard.
 
do you have super human ears that can tell the diff between audio cards? or do you do sound editing or something? i can tell no diference between them, except people report that my mic output is louder with the card as opposed to onboard.


One thing I noticed is that on my Audigy I could hear a whine every time I moved the mouse. Never heard that on my Live.
 
heh, i used onboard sound, realtec ac97 or whatever for years, only recently got a audigy 2 zs to try and fix a Voip issue in battlefield 2. I notice no sound quality diference between the audigy and my onboard sound, and my voip still doesnt work right.

do you have super human ears that can tell the diff between audio cards? or do you do sound editing or something? i can tell no diference between them, except people report that my mic output is louder with the card as opposed to onboard.

You would have to have better listening equipment to hear the difference, but the DAC and SNR on an Audigy 2 is considerably better. EG if you're using cheap wal-mart sony MDR-V50 headphones or a pair of X-230's you're not going to much any difference. Fire up of HTPC or high quality speakers, or Sens (cans) can you'll hear the difference. Unless you're tone deaf.
 
heh, headphones, please, speakers are where its at, i want wall shaking sound.

but true, my speakers are old, they are Altec Lansing, 2 small speakers and a sub, but they sound good and are surprisingly loud, may be getting some surround sound speakers soon,
 
heh, i used onboard sound, realtec ac97 or whatever for years, only recently got a audigy 2 zs to try and fix a Voip issue in battlefield 2. I notice no sound quality diference between the audigy and my onboard sound, and my voip still doesnt work right.

do you have super human ears that can tell the diff between audio cards? or do you do sound editing or something? i can tell no diference between them, except people report that my mic output is louder with the card as opposed to onboard.

There is a big difference, the onboard sound has muffled sound, simular to the new audigy/x-fi sound cards. I recently used an X-Fi XtremeGamer, the bass response is horrendous. The SB Live! bass and treble response is unparalleled.

I really want to upgrade to vista too, but no sound cards satisfy my needs.

I am using a Logitech Z-2300 system.
 
Maybe the SB live simply worked better with the config/machine you have. Or perhaps there might have been a conflict of sorts on your machine with the X-fi installed -- maybe a software conflict or driver conflict? In any case if you really want a SB live you can nab one at Ebay pretty easy.
 
Back
Top