• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Blaster for notebook?

harmattan

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
5,302
It seems during my last CPU upgrade on my 7811FX I blew out the right channel on my motherboards onboard sound. I suspected there was something wrong with the sound circutry on this laptop as it has always made a buzzing sound on headphones. I'm now looking at other options to attach my headphone to. Creative has a couple solutions, either expresscard or USB. Which would be my best choice?

I want something that is portable (i.e. I can leave attached to my laptop) and that doesn't reduce FPS in games. I also loathe Creative, but they seem the only company with laptop soundcards.

Expresscard:

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17988

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16642

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17872&listby=
 
srsly? no one has had experience with notebook soundcards?
 
I'd say it's a pretty small niche market. I've never had a need or even desire for one, nor have I known anyone personally with one.
 
I have an Audigy 2 ZS expresscard that I could give you...not sure if it works or not, it was given to me by an old roommate. I will take pics later tonight.
 
Thanks Antimatter. I don't think that older version, however, would fit my expresscard/54 slot.

I'm leaning towards the X-fi Extreme Audio Notebook at this point. I like that it has an optical out. Also, I'm worried any USB solution may ding my FPS in games.
 
my friend has that one hooked up to the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and likes it a lot (it sounds good to me too). All he does though is listen to music so can't say how they fair in games.
 
using the xfi notebook with my laptop, sounds way better than the onboard for music. the xpresscard is also better than the usb xfi go. also if you go with the xtreme audio, make sure you are running a 32-bit os on your laptop as it doesn't work with 64-bit properly from what i've been told. the xfi notebook works fine with vista 64-bit.
 
Damn, I've already got an xtreme audio on the way and run Vista 64. I did, however, read thatt the newest drivers work now...
 
My brother uses the X-Fi notebook with headphones in his Thinkpad. I think the sound is excellent.
 
The x-fi xtreme audio notebook arrived yesterday. I works great in Vista 64 and is a noticeable improvement in sound quality.
 
I bought a Xonar U1 after hearing to stay away from the creative stuff.
 
Back
Top